Cycling News being taken over

Keith Oates
Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
edited July 2007 in Pro race
by Future. Is the future bright for that website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm not sure whether to be pleased or worried. Cyclingnews is a fantastic site. Lets hope that the quality and frequency of news updates doesn't decrease, as no other site comes close on that front.
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    lets hope they don't merge it with loads of MTB websites and make it unwieldy and unusable
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    probably bad news IMO
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I just hope it doesn't become a clone of all the other cycling websites that only publish stories about the big teams and riders. And mainly repackaged AFP or Reuters stories at that (hello Velonews). Personally, I enjoy reading interviews with Skil-Shimano or Fuerteventura riders as much as I do with CSC or Discovery.

For the sheer breadth of their coverage, it's second to none.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Don't forget, we're also adding 'content' to Future's product by posting here, as well as by mapping routes over at Bikely.com.
  • GroupOfOne
    GroupOfOne Posts: 21
    Mixed feelings about the announcement, as CyclingNews really is the best cycling website out there. Not just for it's news coverage but also for all the archived material they keep (race calendars, teams etc).

Hopefully it'll be allowed to continue to run as it is...but then again why would a company do this and allow it to run in competition to your brand spanking new bike website :?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Precisely because cyclingnews has great content and it's maybe better (quicker, easier) to acquire with a buy-out such content and a pre-existing production structure for creating it, than gambling time and effort building up one's own rival version. It happens all the time in publishing and other business.
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    I wonder if the acquistion included the famous 'blimp' and 'ferrari'? :lol:

I hope they keep up the global coverage of minor races...Its always great to see my old mates doing well in the continental teams