Beginner to road riding..... typical first bike question

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I've been riding a mountain bike for 7 or 8 months, but want to expand my horizons. I'm not looking to do club rides or races (not for a while anyway), just to get out on rides simply to get fitter. I'm looking at 2 bikes, both of which are comfortable, but can't decide between the 2 so would like some advice from the experienced people please if possible. The 2 I have in mind are the Giant SCR Ltd and the Scott Speedster 40, both in the £650ish area. Would I be right in thinking the Scott is the racier bike and will be lighter than the Giant?

Comments

• on2wheels
    on2wheels Posts: 102
    As far as I am aware, from reading on these forums, you are correct, but I haven't ridden either bike, so I don't know for sure. For your budget, why not have a look at Specialized Allez, Trek Pilot and Bianchi to name but a few, have a good look round before you buy, the last thing you want to do is buy a bike and regret it after just a few months
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    The Trek 1200 is a very nice bike, and bang in your price range IIRC.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    Hi guilliano,

In general, make sure you get the best frame (stiff + light = good) you can for your money. It won't matter too much at this stage if you do not have the very best groupset or wheels as these can be upgraded at a later stage (wheels first).

Get yourself a British Cycling membership and racing license and enter some cat 4 closed circuit races in your area, this will allow you to build up your racing skills, knowledge and experience away from other traffic in the quickest way possible.
    ________
    Medical Marijuana
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol