ebay...........

cookmyster
cookmyster Posts: 4
edited July 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi

i opologise in advance if i'm being thick but i want to buy some new stuff from usa will i be liable for any kind of import tax/costs??

Comments

• Seagull
    Seagull Posts: 2,814
    Depends on the seller, if they mark it as a gift you may get away with it. If its marked as the goods it is then yes you will get charged duty on top of what you pay.
  • what's the rate of tax?

its all wrong....................................
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    yes. By the time you've paid this that and the other it will cost about 30%- 40%

Although item under £18 and marked as a gift don't normally attract any charges.
  • 30-40% holy guacamolie

Avid Juicy Code set $339.99
    Shipping costs $35.00
    being stung by duty costs and ending up paying more than a uk supplyer.......... Priceless!!

thanks for the info :cry: :x
  • Discopooh
    Discopooh Posts: 109
    sssssshhhhhhh, never had to pay imprt tax yet from the US.
  • bullcross
    bullcross Posts: 274
    had a few things from the us from ebay with no probs with tax :wink:
    focus superbud
  • jordlr
    jordlr Posts: 15
    Ditto!

Ive had Fox forks, avid juicy 7's, a carbon riser bar and some lights from the states and ive never paid import tax or duty on any of it...

If you talk to the seller very nicely then i expect they'll mark it as a gift or low value and then you should'nt get stung at all or only a little if you do.... Most customs inspecters have no idea what mtb stuff is worth anyway so they'll believe what ever the seller mark's it is worth...
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    jordlr wrote:
    Ditto!

Ive had Fox forks, avid juicy 7's, a carbon riser bar and some lights from the states and ive never paid import tax or duty on any of it...

If you talk to the seller very nicely then i expect they'll mark it as a gift or low value and then you should'nt get stung at all or only a little if you do.... Most customs inspecters have no idea what mtb stuff is worth anyway so they'll believe what ever the seller mark's it is worth...

I used to congratualte myself on beating the system until thingswent belly up on one parcel which custome and excise addedd import duty, a collection fee addedd by the post office, vat added on the cost of the goods, import duty and the collection fee - net result - goods costing 25% more than I'd have paid in the UK

You can take the risk of getting folk to declare gift and low values but everything depends on the vigilane of the customs and excise chaps and chappessess and who's riled them recently. Larger packages attract more attention than small packages and judging by the anecdotes of fello aeromodellers - it's quite rare for duty paid goods to be cheaper than UK sourced goods.

Take a chane by all means but do have the cash in reserve to pay any surcharges - you'll not get sight of the goods until you shell out for the surcharge.