hillingdon circuit

10/2
10/2 Posts: 16
i have just got into cycling and have applied to join hillingdon cycling club. to use hillingdon track do you have to go to organized events or is it open at other times for practice etc? also does anyone know if the club hold events/training for beginners? many thanks

Comments

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Depends what you want to use it for.......and the following may be modified following the removal of the hut and the Goals Centre coming on line.

Training nights on summer Thursdays are run by Prime Coaching. These are formal organised things, very well run and well worth the effort turning up. During the winter months there is no formal training but last winter the Willesden CC used the hut for informal club meetings with 'the tracks there if you've good lights and you fancy a few laps in the cold, wet and dark'. It's not just for Willesden members - all are welcome (the Willesden are tarts and will accept anyone :twisted: )

Racing is on a Tuesday, and Saturday. Saturday morning for sprogs, Wednesday alternates between the Westerley CC 'Evening 10 TT' and Lady/OAP racing. Other groups use the track at other times......the most notable being the Cross Country Skiers.

Other than that, if there's no formal group use it's a public country park so you can just pitch up and ride. But to be honest unless you're under the cosh of competition or concentrating very hard in a pace line it's a dull place to lap on your own. I know - last year I needed to ride a 50 mile TT on a particular weekend and messed up my entries. I snuck into the circuit at 6am on a Sunday, but after 40 laps I was biting my lip with boredom.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    What time is the training night on Thursday?

Can I just pitch up and join in, or do I have to book in advance?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Depends what you want to use it for.......and the following may be modified following the removal of the hut and the Goals Centre coming on line.

Training nights on summer Thursdays are run by Prime Coaching. These are formal organised things, very well run and well worth the effort turning up. During the winter months there is no formal training but last winter the Willesden CC used the hut for informal club meetings with 'the tracks there if you've good lights and you fancy a few laps in the cold, wet and dark'. It's not just for Willesden members - all are welcome (the Willesden are tarts and will accept anyone :twisted: )

Racing is on a Tuesday, and Saturday. Saturday morning for sprogs, Wednesday alternates between the Westerley CC 'Evening 10 TT' and Lady/OAP racing. Other groups use the track at other times......the most notable being the Cross Country Skiers.

Other than that, if there's no formal group use it's a public country park so you can just pitch up and ride. But to be honest unless you're under the cosh of competition or concentrating very hard in a pace line it's a dull place to lap on your own. I know - last year I needed to ride a 50 mile TT on a particular weekend and messed up my entries. I snuck into the circuit at 6am on a Sunday, but after 40 laps I was biting my lip with boredom.

Same as any TT then :D
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372

Err the OAP racing is no such thing - while the of League of Veteran Race Cyclists may sound like a bunch of old codgers, in fact it's leg-rippingly fast over-40 stuff.

For the Thursday its 6:30pm sharp for an hour - best to get there a bit earlier . £3 plus refreshments for sale.
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I had my tongue pressed into my cheek :lol:

Despite being just old enough to race with The Old Codgers, I'm just not good enough :oops: Some of those lads pluck my legs off on a regular basis. (And I'm not racing the ladys as those girls are scary :shock: )
  • BrenD
    BrenD Posts: 260
    "And I'm not racing the ladys as those girls are scary"

Yeah - how do they find so much to say, even when they're racing?