MA3 v's Open Sport? - Help

HungryCol
HungryCol Posts: 532
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I'm looking for a cheap strong rear wheel for my commuting racer that takes a fair bit of bashing. I've broken two spokes on my rear Gippiemme T3 in as many months so they're obviously not up to the challenge, jumping kerbs and, mainly, my weight.

My LBS has MA3's made up with some Ultegra Hubs but I thought MA3 rims where a thing of the past. They're not even on the Mavic.com website, at least not that I could find. I heard somewhere that the MA3 has been replaced by Open Sport rims.

I'm looking for bomb proof wheels at a cheap price and these seem to fit the bill. What should I go for? MA3's or Open Sports? Or anything else for that matter.

Thanks....

Comments

• Both the Mavic A319 & A719 are designed for heavier duty use than both the Open pro, Ma3 or the replacent for the Ma3, which as you correctly suspect is indeed the Mavic Open Pro Sport.

Although they are indeed stronger if you are "jumping kerbs..." then you have the 'Russian Roulette' factor to consider, you may perhaps have to put up with the odd mishap or two, you could always use a pair of dustbin lids instead and make yourself some Desperate Dan Specials[:D] [;)]

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HungryCol</i>

I'm looking for a cheap strong rear wheel for my commuting racer that takes a fair bit of bashing. I've broken two spokes on my rear Gippiemme T3 in as many months so they're obviously not up to the challenge, jumping kerbs and, mainly, my weight.

My LBS has MA3's made up with some Ultegra Hubs but I thought MA3 rims where a thing of the past. They're not even on the Mavic.com website, at least not that I could find. I heard somewhere that the MA3 has been replaced by Open Sport rims.

I'm looking for bomb proof wheels at a cheap price and these seem to fit the bill. What should I go for? MA3's or Open Sports? Or anything else for that matter.

Thanks....

Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica
  • The weak point of any rim is the hook that holds the tyre bead. Land too hard on it and you will bend it. I don't think any rim is much stronger than others in this area; there's only a given amount of metal there, whatever the design.