Tools to take on tour

IainJcp
IainJcp Posts: 2
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I'll be doing my first multi-day tour soon, up in the Scottish Highlands, between youth hostels for a week. I'll be getting a new bike for it (dunno what yet, going for a chat at the bike shop at the weekend), and I've got a good idea what to take in the way of luggage.

What I'm not sure of is what to take in the way of tools and spares. Some sites I've read say a pucture repair kit will do, others say take everything - cables, a tyre or 2, chain links, spokes, rear mech hanger, etc, and all the tools to go with them. I can see the obvious benefit "just in case" but I could end up with another pannier just for all the tools and stuff.

At the moment on day rides I just take a couple of spare inner tubes and a puncture kit. The only time I've needed more than that, was a couple of years ago when my rear mech fell into the spokes, mangled itself, snapped the hanger and pulled out a few spokes. That was mainly cos the mech was worn out anyway and was proving hard to adjust. That day I wasn't far from home so I got a lift back.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Iain

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I take:

Puncture repair kit
    Spare tube
    Spare folding tyre
    Allen keys (2 will do all the bits on my bike)
    Chain link removal tool and spare links
    Cable ties
    Small pliers
    Spare brake & gear cable
    Chain lube
    A couple of hand-wipe sachets for getting the oil off after repairs
    And of course a pump

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    One of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 1210826560

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    just dont do what i did once, far from home and bikeshops, and take the spare spokes for the rear driveside but forget a cassette removal tool might come in handy at that point.......DOH!!!
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IainJ</i>

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first multi-day tour soon, up in the Scottish Highlands, between youth hostels for a week. I'll be getting a new bike for it (dunno what yet, going for a chat at the bike shop at the weekend), and I've got a good idea what to take in the way of luggage.

What I'm not sure of is what to take in the way of tools and spares. Some sites I've read say a pucture repair kit will do, others say take everything - cables, a tyre or 2, chain links, spokes, rear mech hanger, etc, and all the tools to go with them. I can see the obvious benefit "just in case" but I could end up with another pannier just for all the tools and stuff.

At the moment on day rides I just take a couple of spare inner tubes and a puncture kit. The only time I've needed more than that, was a couple of years ago when my rear mech fell into the spokes, mangled itself, snapped the hanger and pulled out a few spokes. That was mainly cos the mech was worn out anyway and was proving hard to adjust. That day I wasn't far from home so I got a lift back.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Iain
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tools

Bike Multitool
    Leatherman Juice

Spare Parts
    2x tubes
    2x patch kits
    2x tyre boots
    2x SRAM power links
    2x Fiberfix spokes
    1 gear cable
    1 brake cable
    1 pair break pads
    Misc screws and bolts
    cable ties
    tape
    super glue
    pump
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    Pump
    Spare Tube
    Allen Keys
    P***ture repair kit
    Cable ties & pvc tape
    Brake & gear cables
    Chain lube oil
    Pliers
    You are unlikely to be more than 70 miles from a bike shop in the Highlands[;)][:)]
  • I am in a similar situation...no clue what tools to take on a two week uk tour. I have a halfords multi tool and punture kit and a spare inner tube, that's it. I need to minimise weight and reckon that on this trip anyway I wont be too far from a LBS....I'm only going to Norfolk.

I think I'd be unlucky to get two punctures on my schalbe marathons at the same time (???) and if a spoke or two go i'll have 34 left still to hobble to safty.

Am I being stupid here? Maybe I need more...hmm....but it's all adding to the load...hmm....[?][?]

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A Stein Hypercracker (http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b24s71p111) is something every tourer should own. Allows you to replace drive side spokes and weighs next to nothing.

More problems but still living.....
    More problems but still living....
  • if you haven't got a multitool, have a look in the bike section at Asda or sainsburys. They've got those and loads of other stuff that can cost up to a third of the price you pay at halfords... gloves etc.

After buying a multitool at asda, I then went into my corner co-op and saw they now have a bike section, or shelf, and saw an even cheaper one!!
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    if you haven't got a multitool, have a look in the bike section at Asda or sainsburys. They've got those and loads of other stuff that can cost up to a third of the price you pay at halfords... gloves etc.

After buying a multitool at asda, I then went into my corner co-op and saw they now have a bike section, or shelf, and saw an even cheaper one!!

i'd be very careful with ASDA, not all of the gear is good. I'd hate to find that my multitool bent and gave up the ghost just when i needed it most. Cheap isn't necessarily good.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I carry a pump, a top peak multi tool, a puncture repair kit, a spare tube and a rear brake & gear cable.
    Thats it.
    Make sure its well serviced before you go, replace if in doubt, and you should be fine. Prevention is way better than cure.
    Enjoy
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • joatmon
    joatmon Posts: 8
    When touring I take proper tools rather than multi tools.

When fully loaded it doesn't add that much more weight.

More important is wether your able to use the tool your carrying.
  • ThePiglit
    ThePiglit Posts: 94
    A couple of spare spokes and a spoke key top of the list. Spokes are the one things that can fail without warning and cause the bike to be unrideable very quickly
    If you service the bike regularly and check everything thoroughly before depature in my opnion you are very very unlikely to have a failed cable or chain, though the chain breaker tool and a spare link or two might be good for peace of mind.
    Most multitools contain a wealth of tools you won't need and won't fit anything on your bike!
    Watch out for the midges!
  • Here are the tools we are carrying through Southeast Asia

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/BikeTools.html

Tool1-250x187.jpgTool9-187x250.jpgTool3-187x250.jpg
    Latin America & Africa by VW www.vwvagabonds.com

Asia by Recycled Bicycle www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/BikeHome.html