Commuting tyre recommendation...

mazcp
mazcp Posts: 953
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I'm sure this must've been asked before, so apologies up-front.
The 700x28 Armadillo all-conditions on my Sirrus are worn and have big gashes in them...I want to replace them with slimmer tyres. I don't want the hassle of different tyres for summer/winter. Can anyone recommend tyres for year-round use? I've heard good stuff about the GP4000s - anyone have them? Are slimmer tyres in general more difficult to remove in the event of a puncture?
Also a dumb question - I guess the inner tubes of the '28's can't be used on 25 or 23mm tyres, right?

Cheers.

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Hi Maz,

You will be better off changing the tubes to 19-23mm ones, else you run the serious risk of a blow out. GP4000/GP4000S tyres are great and grippy for the summer but personally I use something like Bonty Hardcases come the bad weather.
    I have not really noticed a difference in getting them on and off the rim compared to 28s.
    You will probably get a noticeable speed boost too due to the lower weight (i.e. rotating mass) of the new folding tyres compared to the heavy Spesh ACs.
    And get a decent peaked cycling cap too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    BMW K1200R HISTORY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Many thanks, domtyler. I knew I could rely on you for some sound advice...and I'm helmet-free at the moment, but that's a whole different topic.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Ah come on, any topic can be converted to a helmet/rlj 'debate'!! [}:)]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    BABIMAC
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i use gator skins 700:23 all year round; more responsive than armadillos, slightly more prone to punctures. it's a compromise. some people say hardcases are indeed difficult to get on/off.

although, funnily enough - the hutchinson quartz that came with my condor have been good for 2000 miles so far, which is odd. i had one concussion puncture when i hit a rock at high speed on westerham hill and darn near pooed my pants.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2vx78q
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Nilscp
    Nilscp Posts: 36
    I have gator skins also. Found them easy to fit, no punctures so far this year.

• having got bored with using armadillos and deciding to mix it up a bit i am currently using schwalbe blizzard sports at the moment. done a couple of thousand miles on them already without a problem - but anyway, my favourite thing about them is the zippy sound they make when skidding on the fixie. childish i know

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • As before Maz, GP4000s get my vote.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    28mm Gatorskins for me. Only one puncture since before Christmas. Are grippy enough and have done a couple of thousand miles.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    As before Maz, GP4000s get my vote.

And mine. I'm using them on my Langster. Lovely ride quality, great grip, you'll find them an order of magnitude better than the armadillos, except perhaps for their resistance to the faries!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I recently put a Bontrager hardcase on he back wheel and now I've got a soft 'un. So it's back to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus for me. Those things are everythingproof.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Tartanyak wrote:
    28mm Gatorskins for me. Only one puncture since before Christmas. Are grippy enough and have done a couple of thousand miles.

Same here, mine are now over 18 months old, no punctures with this set, only one puncture with the previous set.
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    I have stopped using Armadillos because they seemed to wear too fast for my liking. The week I decided to change I'd had 3 p******es, one of which had ripped a half inch tear across the tread.

Maybe it was bad luck, but since switching to Gators 3 months ago I've not had a single problem.

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    GP 4 Seasons for me.

[EDIT] 25mm.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • I'm using Scwalbe Marathon's on my bike. The Marathon+'s are supposed to be almost unpuncturable. I've done 1500 miles on them so far, with 2 rear punctures, and hardly any noticeable wear.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • wai
    wai Posts: 36
    Using 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Only around 250 miles so far, but half the journey is through some quite rough canal towpath and quite a bit of broken glass.

Last time I checked, I noticed a cut across the rubber on the rear tyre that had gotten through the outer tread, but not past the inner layer.
  • Wolf04
    Wolf04 Posts: 51
    Another vote for Ultragators.
    They told me to take up cycling, they said I\'d save money. They lied
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    Continental Sport Contacts for me. Robust, fast rolling tyre
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I have been using Coni Gatorskins year round for a couple of years now, with only one puncture. As with any slick tyre care is required when there is snow on the ground, but then you don't get any of that in the South.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • I use 23m Gators on my commuter and 23m GP4000's on my best bike. I've previously used Schwalbe Blizzard sports and they were great, but I find them difficult to get hold of.

I don't agree with Dom Tyler about having to change your tubes if you're going to narrower tyres. I've use 28-32 tubes in 23m tyres with no problems.

And Peejay, if you're reading this, it's a Percussion puncture not a Concussion. :wink:
    Formerly known as Big T