I think I got the solution....

walkercp
walkercp Posts: 1,012
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Now I am sure we are all bored of the RLJ threads going round and round but I've got the solution to ths ar$eholes instead of catching up with them and kicking them off the bikes.

When you eventually catch them (and you will, most RLJ are to slow to take advantage of the fact tehy've just risked their lives) ride along side them and tell them they have done wrong and give them a made up fact of the amount of cyclist deaths due to their own actions.
I did it this morning and the bloke then suddenly stopped at all the lights like a good boy

Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives

Comments

• What was your made up fact? Perhaps we could compile a stock list of them, so they become urban myths.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I'll argue for ever with RLJers on this forum but I can't be bothered to waylay them on the road. I used to shout "Lycra lout!" at them sometimes but now I just let them go. As far as catching them up is concerned, some are pretty fast and I'm not going to race them just to make a point.
    (Having said that I overtook every other cyclist on the road this morning and caught up with every jumper.)
    One time I admonished some really stupid, irritating cow who rode through the lights blowing on a whistle to scatter the pedestrians. She told me to shut up (or something that meant shut up) in a very cross voice.

"da sapienti et addetur ei sapientia doce iustum et festinabit accipere."
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

What was your made up fact? Perhaps we could compile a stock list of them, so they become urban myths.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

RLJers are more likely to be attacked by rabid pangolins.

Folders
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i did something similar once - man on a bike was riding in a terrifying fashion and habitually jumping lights.

i pointed out that he runs a high risk of death, in quite an understated fashion.

he threatened to knock my block off. i added him in my notebook to the very long "list of unpleasant south africans i have met".

i decided to not take this course of action again, and if people want to run the risk of death, then so be it.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2vx78q
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    I stopped at a set of lights and had a ped have a go at me

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

What was your made up fact? Perhaps we could compile a stock list of them, so they become urban myths.

In a study conducted by a major British university, it was found that men who regularly jump red lights had small penises.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Origamist</i>

<b>RLJers are more likely to be attacked by rabid pangolins.</b>

Folders
    This happens to be true.

• Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    I was thanked by a ped for stopping at a red light last night - I was to bemused to say anything.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

In a study conducted by a major British university, it was found that men who regularly jump red lights had small penises.

What about the women though? Do they have tight ... er i'll get me coat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Design host
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In a study conducted by a major British university, it was found that men who regularly jump red lights had small penises.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I stop at ***every*** red light - what does say about me???[:0]

On a related note, I saw a woman on a bike this morning approaching a pedestrian crossing that had two sets of red lights, one just before the crossing and one just after. She chose to RLJ the first set (thereby going onto the crossing) but stop at the second set (stopping on the crossing). Seemed an odd choice to make - either RLJ both sets, or stop at the first.

I also saw a cyclist in London Dynamo kit who seemed to be getting a ticket from a PCSO at the Lyric Square in Hammersmith, I'd guess for cycling across the square. Don't blame him for trying - avoiding the Hammersmith one-way system is quite understandable.
    "Tyres down on your bicycle, your nose feels like an icicle"
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

I don't think I am mistaking cause and correlation here when I hypothesise that stopping at a red light increases penis size. [:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    How to love
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by twowheeledwriter</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In a study conducted by a major British university, it was found that men who regularly jump red lights had small penises.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I stop at ***every*** red light - what does say about me???[:0]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Me too.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

On a related note, I saw a woman on a bike this morning approaching a pedestrian crossing that had two sets of red lights, one just before the crossing and one just after. She chose to RLJ the first set (thereby going onto the crossing) but stop at the second set (stopping on the crossing). Seemed an odd choice to make - either RLJ both sets, or stop at the first.

Not-very good brakes.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't think I am mistaking cause and correlation here when I hypothesise that stopping at a red light increases penis size.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, it gives me the horn too. If I RLJ, I also get the horn - from irate car drivers.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    not a habitual rlj'er but (hopefully not too an@l about it). One time I stopped at the lights and crossings as you're supposed and this stupid whiny little man insisted on stopping next to me each time and telling the whole world how it was good to see two cyclists actually stopping, and pointing out to the hesitant peds that it was their right of way on the zebra. T0sser made me far more inclined to jump it just to get away from him. I don't stop to make some kind of great gesture and I don't stop because it's the law either. I stop because it's the most appropriate thing to do.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

I used to shout "Lycra lout!" at them sometimes

I just shout "prat". Whether they know it's them I'm talking to I don't know, but it makes me feel better.

<font size="1">*** Have you got rock salmon?
    No, but we've got soul ***</font id="size1">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

I used to shout "Lycra lout!" at them sometimes

I just shout "prat". Whether they know it's them I'm talking to I don't know, but it makes me feel better.

Well, that's alright then...PRAT.

Gabba Gabba Hey
    Gabba Gabba Hey
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by walker</i>

Now I am sure we are all bored of the RLJ threads going round and round but I've got the solution to ths ar$eholes<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

and i thought i was the only one bored with <b>ths ar$eholes</b> posting RLJ threads too!

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">T0sser made me far more inclined to jump it just to get away from him. I don't stop to make some kind of great gesture and I don't stop because it's the law either. I stop because it's the most appropriate thing to do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sums up my attitude too. I generally don't RLJ, but wouldn't rule it out - but having someone tell me off for my cycling style really gets my goat - whether I'm in the right or in the wrong. Similarly, I could imagine it would have the same effect if I went around commenting on other cyclists to their face.

Nobody likes being told off, do they?
  • walkercp

Yeah something like that one arch

• richteacp
    richteacp Posts: 1,137
    Had to shout 'MUPPET!' at some numpty today who sailed through a red into right-turning traffic (with myself at the front) - good job I saw he wasn't going to stop, would've been a bit messy otherwise.

He looked a little bit hurt and utterly bemused. WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE ON?

<font size="1">--
    esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">--
    esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    I jump crossings when there's no-one there but I'm not jumping junctions, it's galling to see others jump perfectly safe junctions, in sync with the ped crossings etc, Ken's slow lights really are a nuisnace

trying to be good but it's getting very tempting on some of the big and easy junctions
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by twowheeledwriter</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">T0sser made me far more inclined to jump it just to get away from him. I don't stop to make some kind of great gesture and I don't stop because it's the law either. I stop because it's the most appropriate thing to do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sums up my attitude too. I generally don't RLJ, but wouldn't rule it out - but having someone tell me off for my cycling style really gets my goat - whether I'm in the right or in the wrong. Similarly, I could imagine it would have the same effect if I went around commenting on other cyclists to their face.

Er, but this chap wasn't telling anyone off was he? He was being complimentary, albeit a bit annoying... Maybe he can't help being a bit of a bore.

Trying to think of a female equivalent of my small penis idea.

How about "A study at a major university showed that women who jump red lights have faces like the back end of the bus they will one day be mashed by...."?

• dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    How about "A study by me showed that women who jump red lights usually have brown frizzy hair poking out of a helmet worn on the back of their head, their seat's too low, they have a girly step-through frame, giant spongy white trainers and a cadence of about 20". Not insulting, but true.

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • Frankly I'm surprised the small penis corssover hasn't been reached yet.

A study has shown that women who rlj have slack f@nnys.

Women want that as much as men want a small penis. Job done.

[:D]

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Was reminded of how annoying RLJ'ers are today on Borough st, crossing the road on a green man and saw a RLJ'er steam in front of me narrowly avoiding several other peds. He may have been "skillfully" avoiding them, but the peds concerned got a bit of a fright. Cock.

My Best Bike
  • lardarse rider
    lardarse rider Posts: 1,447
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I don't think I am mistaking cause and correlation here when I hypothesise that stopping at a red light increases penis size. [:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

You should tell this to that bloke in beginners who seems to enjoy his cycling too much. It may be the only time to reccomend RLJing[:D][}:)][;)]

I'm pushing the pedals on my season cycle

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • mister oy
    mister oy Posts: 81
    I stopped at a zebra crossing to let some peds cross, then I noticed the peds happened to be The London Towers (pretend punk rock band)complete with manager.....

....wish I had run the tw*ts over now [B)]
  • walkercp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">T0sser made me far more inclined to jump it just to get away from him. I don't stop to make some kind of great gesture and I don't stop because it's the law either. I stop because it's the most appropriate thing to do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Er, but this chap wasn't telling anyone off was he? He was being complimentary, albeit a bit annoying... Maybe he can't help being a bit of a bore.

Trying to think of a female equivalent of my small penis idea.

How about "A study at a major university showed that women who jump red lights have faces like the back end of the bus they will one day be mashed by...."?

Women who jump rd lights generally have saggy boobs