A bit damp

Jacomus-rides-Gen
Jacomus-rides-Gen Posts: 453
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Did anyone else get caught in the massive downpour last night?

It started about 5 mins into my commute, just as I got to embankment. I had to stop on chelsea bridge and just stand in the rain for a bit, it was fantastic. So beautiful.

I was seriously cold though, as I didn't have ANY wet weather gear having left my bag at the office. My shoes are still wet today, after spending the night above the radiator!

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I put the bike in the garage, went into the house and the heavens opened with a deluge...timing or what?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I was rained on last night going home, first time in bloody ages! Was quite nice really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    FREE DRUPAL THEMES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    well i was rather busy last night in the taxi[:D],all monies going towards my new bike in March[8D]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Driving standards plummet in wet weather.

"da sapienti et addetur ei sapientia doce iustum et festinabit accipere."
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • I completely agree, and even posted a whine about it just a couple of days ago!

I was impressed last night though, I got given a lot of room.

I was only put in danger once, and the d*ckhead would have done it no matter what the conditions. He was one of those drivers who <i>cannot</i> have a cyclist in front of them, no matter what speed the bike is doing, or what traffic jam is coming up.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Slight spitting of rain around Heathrow yesterday, no need for rain gear as it soon dried off. Traffic around Heathrow was bad yesterday evening, went through miles of queued up cars with a big smile on my face.
  • georgeecp
    georgeecp Posts: 20
    Driving standards last night were pretty low, and that was before the downpour really started. It seems some chunk in a bently decided that given the size and cost of his car, neither signalling or using his mirrors were of the slightest concern to him. You can imagine that side swipe into the barriers which almost took me off was very welcome!
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    Me! I had a showerproof jacket in the pannier but was halfway home and already warm so couldn't be bothered to stop!

I also made the useful discovery that my brakes are not very good in the wet (I knew that stopping distances increased etc, but did not realise quite how much!) but as I was taking it fairly easily this was not too much of a problem.

I have to say drivers were quite considerate this time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    the first few drops hit me as I arrived home after a fast journey with a very nice tailwind that in places let me coast up hills at a constant speed, nice

I can rarely be bothered with water/shower proofs once I've started, don't wear much, don't really get wet works for me

winter perhaps
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Got soaked on Sunday om ny inaugural trip to Box hill, glad I have 2 pairs of shoes cos the sunday pair are still a tad damp!

My Best Bike
  • neslon
    neslon Posts: 54
    Its been pissing down here for ages & you get a bit blase (and smug) about biking out in the rain. The annoying thing was, I had a 4 day long conference in cambridge this week & got even wetter, but the bairns got sunburnt playing cricket in the back lane. Grrrr