Computer magnet for disc wheel...?

IanTrcp
IanTrcp Posts: 761
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Can you buy a magnet specially for use with a disc wheel?

Or, more specifically does anyone know of a cycle computer magnet with self adhesive backing?

I have a set of whizzy Roval Fusee Star wheels and use a Suunto T6 bike pod that is integrated into the front q/r. The "star" on the spokes means I can't use a traditional magnet and I'd like to avoid having to buy and fit a fork mounted sensor if at all possible.

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have heard of simply supergluing a magnet to the wheel!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Epoxy resin would be better.

Search ebay for various magnets.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IanTr</i>

Can you buy a magnet specially for use with a disc wheel?

Or, more specifically does anyone know of a cycle computer magnet with self adhesive backing?

I have a set of whizzy Roval Fusee Star wheels and use a Suunto T6 bike pod that is integrated into the front q/r. The "star" on the spokes means I can't use a traditional magnet and I'd like to avoid having to buy and fit a fork mounted sensor if at all possible.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would be very interseted how you get on with these. I am looking at an upgrade and they seem to be an interesting option...

How do you find them at the moment?
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Sigma Sport sell "rare earth" magnets that are apparently very small and could be glued to the wheel - beware de-laminating the carbon fibre - unlikely, but certainly a possible outcome!

I think some of the CF wheels actually have a hole to mount a magnet (which no doubt costs a small fortune). [;)]
  • Rob_mcp
    Rob_mcp Posts: 297
    Vandalise a fridge magnet and stick it to the wheel with bath sealant - then at least you can get it off again!
  • Glue it inside the valve hole, heard of this done before and working fine.

If it doesn't fit, force it.

I would be very interseted how you get on with these. I am looking at an upgrade and they seem to be an interesting option...

How do you find them at the moment?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fitted them at the weekend. Haven't had a proper tryout yet. Will respond when I have.
  • stoobydale
    stoobydale Posts: 535
    I have a rare earth magnet stuck to a carbon crank arm with double sided sticky tape. The stuff they use for sticking car badges and stuff on with. Never had any problems with delamination or falling off.