OT Vista

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Help!I have upgraded to vista but it has really slowed my PC.How can I get back to XP.I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1405 and still have product recovery disc for XP.When I load this Vista seems to stop it loading XP as vista is a newer version.Thanks in advance

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Wait for service pack 1! My mate works for MS and keeps trying to unload free copies of Vista to me, but I said I'll only accept it after they've fixed all the bugs and ensured driver compatability with all my other apps. Many PC's come with a partitioned and protected harddrive such that you can return your PC to its factory state - check with your computer's manual or website. This will reformat and write-over over changes installed changes.
  • farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    Ignore what MS say - you will need at least 1gb - 1.5gb ram / 80gb + hard drive / 128mb+ graphic card and loads of processing power to run Vista at a descent speed.

I would google Fujitsu Siemens forums to see if others have had the same problems.......

If all else fails reformat then install the recovery cd/dvd. WARNING: the recovery disk may require XP installed first......check with Fujitsu Siemens first.

However, if you have just installed it there will be alot of hard-drive activity going on as Vista needs to index all the files ( to ensure long term performance boost ). If you have a laptop chances are your hard drive is running at 5400 rpm ( or even 4200 rpm ) which is slooooooooooooow and will initially affect overall speed.

I have a 10,000 rpm system drive on my PC and even with that I noticed alot of chugging....a few days later it was flying along ( 5.9 score [:D] ). Maybe wait a week then do the above.

Generally though I think upgrading to Vista is a bad idea. With new a OS it is always better to buy a new system with the correct certified devices to ensure optimal performance.

<font color="orange">__________________________________________________</font id="orange"><h6>www.farrellart-london.co.uk

www.farrellart-london.co.uk/bike/bike.html</h6>
  • mearle
    mearle Posts: 50
    Load the recovery cd on boot-up rather than from within windows, which is what is sounds like you are doing.
    You might have to change the bios setting to boot from the CD drive if it doesn't.
    And you'll probably have to format your hard drive before re-installing xp, which you can do from this CD boot - but you'll lose all files, programs and settings.
    If any computer specific hardware drivers are not on the recovery CD, you may have to find the CD with them on, and install them after installing XP, or download them from the manufacturer's website.
    Then, finally, you'll have to "reactivate" your copy of windows, if you want certain things like Windows Update to continue working.
    I doubt service pack one will make vista any faster.
  • farrell
    ......or what mearle said.....

<font color="orange">__________________________________________________</font id="orange"><h6>www.farrellart-london.co.uk

• ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Wait for service pack 1!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">And this is a squillion dollar company launching a new flagship product. [:(]

It rather proves the EU's 'market abuse' finding. If the rest of us worked for organisations with the same level of customer satisfaction, we'd soon be looking for other jobs.
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Vista generally runs as fast or faster than XP on recent PCs, PROVIDING you have at least 1GB of memory, if you don't then forget it.

If you have a dual-core CPU, then the difference is very apparent as Vista multitasks better.

You might be able to get away with turning off some of the eye-candy. There is a wizard that checks you performance and set this appropriately, try this first and give the disk a good defrag after installation. Contrary to what has been said, other than memory you really don't need the latest and greatest. You could also disable some of the many service that really aren't needed. There are plenty of guides to do this on the web.

The graphics requirement is only for the aero-glass interface. If you turn this off I can tell you for definite it runs perfectly well on a 5 year old 32mb matrox graphic card.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Some useful Vista tuning tips here:

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.p ... how&id=121

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • No help to anyone, but Vista working lovely on my PC

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by starseven</i>

Buy a mac.........no microsoft, no problem.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">have we EVER had a "macintosh help please" thread here? i rest my case.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Or buy Win2K (about œ50 on eBay) and rid your PC of Microsoft spyware?
  • wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    [:)] Touch of irony here - Knock the product which allows you to use this forum!! [;)]
    Try here:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/
    You will get lots of "helpful" advice.
  • peterbr
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by starseven</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">have we EVER had a "macintosh help please" thread here? i rest my case.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Because we've had a handful of threads and PCs outnumber Macs by 25:1? Because you can cobble together a PC from any collection of parts you care to choose and they generally will work from the word go?

The Macbook at work with OSX crashes more often than our generic Dell jobs with XP - and it's the only computer I've ever seen that's left a scorch-mark on a desk from running too hot. I certainly wouldn't call this piece of junk a "laptop" unless you have asbestos trousers, no matter how pretty it is.

And don't get me started on how crap iTunes and the other strangely celebrated (by people who clearly neither know any better or have a clue) iLife applications are.

But I guess you'll be looking forward to not using the BBCs new iplayer along with all those games you don't play and applications you can't use. But there's always "boot camp" eh, lads?

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wotbus@</i>
    [:)] Touch of irony here - Knock the product which allows you to use this forum!! [;)]
    Try here:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/
    You will get lots of "helpful" advice.

I think this forum will work whichever OS you are using so no irony at all really.

The OP could always try upgrading to Linux.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

Because we've had a handful of threads and PCs outnumber Macs by 25:1? Because you can cobble together a PC from any collection of parts you care to choose and they generally will work from the word go?

The Macbook at work with OSX crashes more often than our generic Dell jobs with XP - and it's the only computer I've ever seen that's left a scorch-mark on a desk from running too hot. I certainly wouldn't call this piece of junk a "laptop" unless you have asbestos trousers, no matter how pretty it is.

And don't get me started on how crap iTunes and the other strangely celebrated (by people who clearly neither know any better or have a clue) iLife applications are.

But I guess you'll be looking forward to not using the BBCs new iplayer along with all those games you don't play and applications you can't use. But there's always "boot camp" eh, lads?

<hr noshade size="1">

Pc's outnumber macs by 25 to 1 because companies buy Pcs by the tens of thousand, they buy them to number cruch databases and because they can be fine tuned to specific applications.
    I need to surf the net, store my movies,music, photos and letters in one easy place and not waste time chasing lost .dll file or corupt gizmo extensions.
    I plugged an intelmac in 18 months ago and after 25 years of mucking around with one type of computer or another found one that just works as a home computer. I would no more expect to figure out the macs configuration than I would expect to a tv or washing machine.

One wire, no reboots, no hassle, Its the future, like garlic bread.

[:D]

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    My Macs worked out of the box.
    My wife avoids the XP PC because it grinds away.
    Our Vista laptop remains in the cupboard - The Wi-Fi is toast - can't get it to work at all! Well, actually it did work for about 20 minutes, once! (very intermittent, and more off than on - other than that, the rest of the OS seems good, bar the confusing non-XP-like menus).
    Trying to downgrade to XP!

Cripes - this is beginning to sound like a Campag./Shimano debate (Applies tin hat to head and ducks).
  • peterbr
    Don't get me wrong, I like OSX, I just don't think it's "all that" and until the move to Intel, hardware was definitely inferior, regardless what Apple's slightly bizarre advertising would tell us (until they were forced to withdraw it by the advertising standards authority). I love my ipod-nano though and would certainly buy the Macbook if i wasn't for the fact Apple marketing dictates I have to pay extra for the black "look no fingermarks" version, the slightly bizarre decision to cripple the integrated chipset by limiting the memory to 64MB (ensures that Vista Aero can never run) and the fact they ship with both memory slots filled with idiotic 256MB DIMMs.

Apple may well "just work" in most cases but being marketing led, sometimes engineering gets left behind leading to a series of duff products that have nearly killed the company over the years - Apple III, Apple Lisa, Apple Newton, The infamous Cube. There are also some other turkeys in line, notably the Apple TV, launched just in time for everyone to be looking to move to high definition TV. I also have my doubts about the iphone once the initial hype dies down. There are some serious, potentially catastrophic omissions in the specification. We'll see.

As I can get a Toshiba laptop with Vista for 777CHF (œ316) with pretty much the same hardware spec as the Macbook at 1499CHF (œ610), then there isn't much contest really. OSX ain't worth a 100% premium. 15-20% maybe.

And the iLife applications are still absolute poope regardless of how well integrated they are. And as for quicktime, terrible.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

Don't get me wrong, I like OSX, I just don't think it's "all that" and until the move to Intel, hardware was definitely inferior, regardless what Apple's slightly bizarre advertising would tell us (until they were forced to withdraw it by the advertising standards authority). I love my ipod-nano though and would certainly buy the Macbook if i wasn't for the fact Apple marketing dictates I have to pay extra for the black "look no fingermarks" version, the slightly bizarre decision to cripple the integrated chipset by limiting the memory to 64MB (ensures that Vista Aero can never run) and the fact they ship with both memory slots filled with idiotic 256MB DIMMs.

Apple may well "just work" in most cases but being marketing led, sometimes engineering gets left behind leading to a series of duff products that have nearly killed the company over the years - Apple III, Apple Lisa, Apple Newton, The infamous Cube. There are also some other turkeys in line, notably the Apple TV, launched just in time for everyone to be looking to move to high definition TV. I also have my doubts about the iphone once the initial hype dies down. There are some serious, potentially catastrophic omissions in the specification. We'll see.

As I can get a Toshiba laptop with Vista for 777CHF (œ316) with pretty much the same hardware spec as the Macbook at 1499CHF (œ610), then there isn't much contest really. OSX ain't worth a 100% premium. 15-20% maybe.

And the iLife applications are still absolute poope regardless of how well integrated they are. And as for quicktime, terrible.

<hr noshade size="1">

All true, and provides evidence for the proposition that good looking people are a bit thick, as we all use Macs [;)]

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    Of course Macs should work "out of the box" because they're one box products made by one company, whereas PCs are, as someone's already said, cobbled together from parts from dozens of companies. In fact people who just want to use a computer as a tool, like a washing machine or TV etc, should get a Mac and leave PCs to the tinkerers and DIYers but Apple don't seem to want this going by their pricing and marketing.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    My employer has delayed plans to offer vista as a client desktop until after service pack one. We've (as a company, not me personally) been testing vista since the early beta versions. Basic problems haven't been ironed out. Roving profiles not saving properly, excel files failing to save and destroying previous versions etc. Most of the problems are suffered by client server networks but there's probably a few that could hamper a home user. I've no reason to jump yet so I'll wait. Don't get me started on mac fanatics, and I own and use one. [;)]
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    Ditto - my workplace is holding off on Vista until we need new pc's (doubt the exisiting ones wouldn't run it) - which will be a while yet. My home setup is one pc running Vista and one running XP so I can appreciate what 'fun' we would be having at work if we'd tried to go to Vista too soon...

Vista's menus are quite confusing to begin with, and I've used all the available options to make them more like Xp for now. Another irritating thing is, every time something crashes, Vista insists on 'trying to find a solution' - but never manages to!! Quite a few bits of my old software won't run with Vista - neither will my scanner (no new driver on the manufacturer's website yet).

And finally, unlike Xp, there appears to be no keyboard shortcut for turning the system off. That's such an amazing omission!

<font size="1">Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes</font id="size1">

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • This makes unpleasant reading regarding Vista

www.cs.auckland.ac.nz:80/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
  • farrell
    Vista has been reworked from the ground up and to compare a game that has been coded for XP is misleading. Wait for DirectX10 (vista only) games to come out, Crysis for example, and you'll see it bury XP. If games are your thing!!!!

I personally really like Vista, all my software and hardware work perfectly. I think it's a vast improvement over XP.

My only issue with Vista is that it wont use all of my 4gb ram as you can't enable re-mapping with the 32bit version.....not a massive problem.