I need insurance!!

overweightandunderpaid
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Please help! I need to insure my Time road bike (œ4000) and brompton (œ500) while I'm in France with the car. I also need to insure them while at home in the garage along with my litespeed (œ3750) and winter bike (œ750). Neither my home nor car insurers will cover them for more than œ750 each, even in the garage. I'm going to France on July the 8th so would be really grateful for any advice so I can sort it pronto. I need excellent cover because, as I'm sure you'll all appreciate, I don't want to have to replace these bikes (still paying for them first time around!)
Cheers in advance,

Dave

Comments

• these people do the ctc cyclecover insurance http://www.butterworthinsurance.co.uk/ don't know anything about them, or what their prices are like but they should be ok if the ctc use them.
  • Cheers, will have a look,
    Dave
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Have a look at Marks and Spencer's home insurance. They cover items up to œ4000 and there is an option for away from home cover too. Premiums were OK too.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I had a look at insurance last year for both my and my wife's bikes for when I was in France on holiday last year. I identified that the exclusion clauses on the policies I looked at made them effectively useless for a holiday. They were not covered inside a car, not covered in a hotel room unless I had exclusive access, not covered when riding, not covered when locked outside a restaurant unless you took a supertanker anchor chain. I did not bother in the end - but good luck, you might find a holiday friendly policy.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    gavintc,

Which companies did you look at ?

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • polglase
    polglase Posts: 223
    I have a bias in that my uncle used to run the place, but Butterworths are great, and did not mess about when I killed my bike!
  • NOW, come on. Your just bragging about your great bikes aren't You?
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    email me...

i can help on this

www.mjsracing.net sponsored by MJ SECTIONS/IFP Insurance & Kwik Travel

www.mjsracing.net
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I use Butterworths, you get discount if you belong to London Cycling Campaign or CTC and they will cover for mass start events for an extra fee. You will have to ask them about the foreign bit though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    No2 Vaporizer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • foghat
    foghat Posts: 16
    gavintc wrote:
    I had a look at insurance last year for both my and my wife's bikes for when I was in France on holiday last year. I identified that the exclusion clauses on the policies I looked at made them effectively useless for a holiday. They were not covered inside a car, not covered in a hotel room unless I had exclusive access, not covered when riding, not covered when locked outside a restaurant unless you took a supertanker anchor chain. I did not bother in the end - but good luck, you might find a holiday friendly policy.

Indeed, the specific cycle insurance policies are extortionate, given the numerous exclusions. Scheduled all-risks itemisation on a household contents policy is probably more sensible, and MUCH cheaper.

The provision for scope for avoiding covering any losses wherever possible is a facet of most forms of insurance. Many insurance companies also have a default position of refusing to pay up, or coughing for a paltry sum only, in the assumption that many policyholders will simply accept it without question.

Remember the Monty Python vicar attempting to make a claim for his car accident, only to find that he'd opted for the special 'never pay' policy? Not so far from the truth.....