Can't get my brake pads out!

Jacomus-rides-Gen
Jacomus-rides-Gen Posts: 453
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I've got dura ace cartige brake blocks, but i can't get the pads out to fit new ones.

Is there a trick to getting the buggers out?

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Having the same problem with 07 Centuar, feels like i need a bloody vice!

My Best Bike
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    For the DuraAce ones, presume you've taken the small screws out - they should slide out quite easily. The Campag ones are more difficult - I often have to flare the ends of the shoes to stop them biting into the blocks and push a flat-bladed screwdriver into the closed end to prise them out. I also grease the edges of the new pad when fitting new ones and press them in with a vice.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I use a pair of pliars, doesn't matter if you damage the ones you are removing, oh, and a bit of brute strength!

SNAPS
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I don't want to force things to much though, problem is i don't have a vice so need to leave the shoes where they are and I'm worried about the pliers loosing grip and gouging the carbon or something - which would be a tad upsetting...

My Best Bike
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    You put a small screwdriver in the open end between the block and the holder and lever the block oout...you don't try to slide it out.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Just turn them round the opposite way, apply the brakes and push forward 'til they come out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Thyroid Disorders Advice
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Just turn them round the opposite way, apply the brakes and push forward 'til they come out.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Allow plenty of time if you intend to use that method....I accidently had my brake blocks on the wrong way round for several thousand miles and they didn't budge an inch....or a millimetre.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    Err - excuse my ignorance, but why can't you just push backwards?!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JWSurrey</i>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    Err - excuse my ignorance, but why can't you just push backwards?!

No real reason, it's just that it is easier to get more weight behind the pushing if you are either sitting on the saddle or just standing over the crossbar. Also it means there is no chance of any freak accidents ruining anybodies carbon forks etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Starcraft 2 replays
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichA</i>

I've got mine out. Can't now get the new ones in !!!
    I am sure that's a line from a "Carry On" film.
    I loathe changing Campag brake blocks. Last time I attempted it, I ended up <i>persuading</i> the old ones out with a rubber mallet. My memory of getting the new ones in is a bit hazy but I think swearing was involved on several occasions [;)]
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    I did this to some Campagnolo Chorus last week and I was sweating like the proverbial pig (at this stage I add that I was in the South of France in 32C sun 8) ) before I tried Rob's suggestion - with a fine flat bladed screwdriver prising the 'old' block up from the open end before replacing with Koolstop etc etc..(as recommended on the forum).
    Straightforward, but the next day I could be heard squeaking downhill at speed. Even worse when riding the bike...but remember to toe - in the brakes to help with this :idea:
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe