Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

British Cyclosportive

jimmoffattjimmoffatt Posts: 57
Any forum members riding this? Is it likely to be full of frequent sportive riders or full of inexperienced corporate types? Is it a glorified London-Brighton?

œ40.00 is a lot to pay to ride on open busy roads through sarf London with 8500 cyclists and I predict chaos. Hope I am wrong but I see it ending in tears and I am glad I did not bother to enter.

Jim

• bofbof Posts: 372
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • Chris42Chris42 Posts: 809
    I'm riding!
    I won a place in the cycling plus comp!
    I've not done a sportive before but my recent rides I've been doing 75 miles

must ride hills must ride hills!
    delete me from this censored forum
  • I think the weather will probably sort the men from the boys...

Wet weather, busy roads, random riders trying to slipstream in groups - I'm sticking to doing it solo for the most part!

S
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simon_adams_uk</i>

I think the weather will probably sort the men from the boys...

Wet weather, busy roads, random riders trying to slipstream in groups - I'm sticking to doing it solo for the most part!

S
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I figured I'd be doing much the same.
    Drove the last climb and into Canterbury on Sunday as I only live 18 miles from Canterbury.
    Could be a little scary at the traffic lights as you come into canterbury.

Good news they have removed the traffic islands on the 'old Dover Road, the road into Canterbury so a little safer

• drhaddockdrhaddock Posts: 664
    Anyone with some local knowledge of Kent know if flooding could be an issue on the route? The Met Office have issued a severe weather warning for Sunday. I'm looking forward to it but do not fancy the thought of being marooned in Kent in nothing but lycra...

Doc
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drhaddock</i>

Anyone with some local knowledge of Kent know if flooding could be an issue on the route? The Met Office have issued a severe weather warning for Sunday. I'm looking forward to it but do not fancy the thought of being marooned in Kent in nothing but lycra...

Doc

no flooding at all on the route, roads dry in east kent this morning.

• drhaddockdrhaddock Posts: 664
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris42</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drhaddock</i>

Doc

no flooding at all on the route, roads dry in east kent this morning.

Aye, but (pardon my ignorance) is this area prone to flooding? Which <i>could</i> be an issue if we get some serious rain, as the Met Office are predicting?

Doc
  • Rode the Tonbridge to Canterbury part last Saturday in mostly torrential rain, thunder and lightening. Mostly undulates so I can't see flooding being a problem. The last climb about 12 miles out drags on and gets steep near the end. Will test alot of people specially after 95 wet miles!