silk purse or sows ear

jamesdestin
jamesdestin Posts: 5
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I bought a second hand bike a couple of years ago and, in preparation for a cycling weekend in France towards the end of September I've started cycling more regularly (as in a few times a week rather than a few times a year!). I'm building up my distances and a doing a few modest hills and I'm really enjoying it. My bike will need a bit of preparation and probably improvement before long but I'm not sure whether I should be thinking about a new bike or renovating the one I've got. Having been faced with similar questions in the past (with motorcycles and boats) I know that it is easy to spend money on something that will never repay the time and money put into it. At the same time, whilst I've got the magpie attraction to all the shiny Campag and Shimano jewels I also know that I'd be better off losing a couple of stone rather than trying to shave a few grams of the bike..

So, can anyone me what I've got? Is it a thoroughbred, a slug or something in between? If it is worth spending a bit of money on, where would I start? The main areas I think will need attention are:

The gearing, I can't pedal quick enough when I get to about 17 mph (maybe a bit less).
The steering - it steers a bit quickly for my tastes - a bit sharp and twitchy.
The wheels/tyres - its currently shod with big knobbly tyres even though I'm not really interested in off road stuff, I'm more likely to do road and Sustran type routes.
The handlebar. They are straight bars with cowhorns(?) on the ends but I find them a bit narrow and they twist my hands at a funny angle. I've just discovered that the stem is seized as well)

The bike is a Giant Boulder 51. It has a sticker that says it has 4130 Chromoly main tube and a 17.5 inch frame (I'm 5' 6"). It has gripshift gears, a PFF(?) 3 ring, 4 spoke front chainset and SA/SR(?) cranks with 7 speed rear. It has Shimano cantilever brakes. The rear mech says Shimano Altus. It has 26" Hoopster rims - I can't see anything on the hubs.

So - silk purse or sows ear?

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    if i was you, and i'm not, but if i was, i would get a new bike. your current bike is a slug.

i would go for an entry level or one-up racer. this would in turn probably lead to an exponential increase in the amount of cycling and level of enjoyment.

you'll find that you won't be able to pedal quick enough when you get to 40mph, instead of 17mph.

the weight issue will solve itself.

no brainer.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I agree with peejay. You will notice a big difference in modern aluminium bikes. Perhaps go for a hybrid (racer like but with straight bars) instead of a racer if you feel steering can be twitchy on the one you have. You'll be chasing replacement part after replacement part, tyres, wheels, breaks, gears, handlebars. I think your money would be more wisely spent on a new bike, or at least a modern second hand bike.

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Sounds like a good bike for nipping to the shops or short commuting, but less good for a weekends enjoyment, but it's not really about the bike. You'd probabally hire something similar at the hire places in derbyshire at the sustrans routes, and have a good time.

A 4130 frame bike is bombproof, but if you're having a cycling weekend in france then look at getting a road style bike from an lbs or decathlon. These can handle sustrans routes fine, and will give you more miles for your energy.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Definetely get yourself a good test ride on a road bike, then see what you think. IF you are only planning on road cycling a road bike is the way to go, I came from a BMX \ MTB background, always thought of "racers" as being flimsy dangerous things.

It was reading on this forum as people were talking about the speed of skinnier tyres etc that started me thinking that maybe the bike itself could make you quicker. I had always thought it was just a question of being fitter and pedalling faster.

Ive now got my Road bike, and it is just so much faster for the same effort, hills even dissapear so much easier [:D] Gear changes are mostly inaudible. The only thing I miss is my nice armchair saddle from my hybrid, the road saddle isnt making me sore, its just not as armchair like [:D]

Try out a modern road bike Im pretty sure you will soon realise how much more fun it is to cycle with one.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I would say that a more than decent new bike can be had for not much more than it will cost you to upgrade this particular bike - and will save you time!!

Depending on what your longer term usage will be, will depend on the type of bike you select (alternatively get 2 or more bikes[}:)]!!). if its for touring you will need to remember and provision for guards, panniers, etc. Your local bike shop should advise you on the characteristics of its bikes to suit your purpose and to get a proper fitting.

Enjoy!!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • maybe think about a toiurer if you want another option, looks a bit like a road bike but will handle the sustrans routs a bit better and will have racks and mudguards, they atart at œ400 for the edinburgh cycles one or you could look second hand i got a dawes galaxy for œ160 a coplke of years ago and it is my favorite workhorse.
    Cf
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I hear a resounding sow's ear so far!!

I used to commute a mere 2-3 miles each way on an old MTB, and upgraded to a hybrid (as much as anything because I regularly use a child seat, and wanted to be more upright). I like you, used to run out of steam this side of 18-20mph, and even an entry level hybrid can get to 22-24 mph with the same effort. I gather that a road bike should be faster again, basically more aerodynamic etc.

If you're not looking to splash out œ300, I'd consider putting road-slicks on, and leaving it at that. Changing the gearing etc is IMHO spending œ100+ on your slug!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    I wouldn't bother spending more money on your current bike - it's a pretty low-rent frame and regardless of how much money you spend on other parts, it'll still handle and feel like a gas-pipe special. Apart from fitting slick tyres to turn it into a better commuter - I'd save you money and invest it in something emminently more suited to your needs and worthy of future upgrades if required. What you choose to spend your money on depends a lot on the type of riding you plan to do now and in the future - road bikes can crudely be placed into three categories - racer, audax/touring and hybrid. Perhaps when you have a better idea of what you want to use the bike for and how much you want to spend
  • Thanks all, that is all good advice. I think I'll ride this for a month or so, make sure I'm going to stick with it and by then I'll hopefully have a better idea of what I realy want and what I'm willing to spend. Your comments will stop me spending unneccesary cash in the meantime. Thanks again