No TdF for those who fail to Sign.

TheBigOne
TheBigOne Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in Pro race
It is being reported in the Times today:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 980573.ece

that any rider who does not sign the new 'i do not dope' charter will NOT be allowed to the race.
<b>
Tour's warning sign

Cycling The Tour de France says that it will not accept riders who refuse to sign a new antidoping charter. The UCI, the sport's governing body, introduced the charter on June 19 and asked all 600 ProTour cyclists to sign in advance of the Tour, which starts this year in London on July 7</b>.

This going to be really interesting as i am sure there is a sizable number of riders out there who if they were to sign, would be signing away their careers.....

Comments

• [?][?][?]

The UCI are morons then.
    How exactly will this achieve anything? Are they expecting some riders to say "Oh bother! I can't sign because I do actually dope?"

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont want to appear cynical but if i were doping - of course i would sign this - i mean i have doubts about some of the riders already signed up.
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    personally, I think it is all for show. Don't see much in the letter (other than the one year salary penalty) that differs from the current status. perhaps I am being cynical.
  • gsd
    gsd Posts: 114
    Isn't it an agreement that they'll make their DNA available too?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Scott Dupoy - 12PC</font id="size1">
  • It's a pathetic attempt to deflect any criticism if there is yet another scandal.
    They'll say "We had a thorough investigation. We asked eveyone" [:o)]

Yet again the UCI show their lack of commitment to deal with the problem.

How about, you're doping, you're out. The whole team is out. (And not for just 12 months)

That should concentrate the minds of some team managers.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Radsman</i>

personally, I think it is all for show. Don't see much in the letter (other than the one year salary penalty) that differs from the current status. perhaps I am being cynical.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[Cynical business hat /ON] So, lower salaries and pay big bonuses based on performance? Look at Ricco, he only earns ?40K in salary.... [ Cynic /OFF]
  • gsd is right though - the pledge to supply DNA on request could prevent any future 'investigations' dragging on for so long.

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that the minimum Pro-Tour wage was
    ?60K but I might be wrong
  • From cyclingnews - "We will oppose the presence at the start of the Tour of any rider who will not have signed the International Cycling Union's anti-doping charter," outlined Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme.

Sounds a bit vague...?

Do you know the five lamps ?