Bugs and bunny

RufusA
RufusA Posts: 500
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Yesterday morning on the commute in to work nearly killed a baby bunny rabbit that did a suicide dash to "safety" inches away from my front wheel. Swallowed around 5 flying bugs on the mile past the canal on the way home.

Today on the way home decided to keep mouth closed past canal, but managed to snort at least 2 bugs up my nose, one of which nearly choked me as it hit the back of my throat. 200 yds away from where I had the encounter with the bunny, stupid thing does it again!

Is it just me - I'd planned to be dodging traffic, dogs and yobs, but not little bitty wildlife!

Rufus.

Comments

• last year on a cycle through little ribstone near weatherby, lovely clear road when a bunny ran out right in front of me...alas i could'nt stop in time...squish...the ride home was very mournful![:(]

dangerous jules.
    i'm thinking of buying one of them elephants to do my washing...do they eat alot?
    dangerous jules.
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    yes, i get the suicide dash from a squirrel on my commute all the time. not hit one _yet_
    i did have one fall out of a tree inches from me once, whilst on an early morning MTB ride. I think i woke him up.
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I am so glad we don't get possible bunny-running-over opportunities in central London, I'd be plagued by guilt for ever more!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    no bunnies, just pedestrians, which is part of the fun and involves no guilt whatsoever.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    Never cycled over wildlife I could eat (like a rabbit or squirrel). But a baby moorhen did rush out onto a cycle route once straight into my front wheel, head into the spokes. It was quick and messy.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think I ran over/injured a rat once. It was dark and it ran under my crank and got caught in the back wheel. Easter bunnies are suicidal, I always do my Buddhist bell ring every few seconds to give them plenty of warning Im coming.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    [:(]...nearly ran into a ***** cat yesterday, I just don't know how I missed...it was so close...fur flying...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisLS</i>

[:(]...nearly ran into a ***** cat yesterday, I just don't know how I missed...it was so close...fur flying...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...they won't let me post the word p@ssy[:(]
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Pest control.

Bikes are traffic.
    Bikes are traffic.
  • emu
    emu Posts: 161
    I hit a badger once. It was dark and it just ran out in front of me and I came off and fell into a hedge. Still got the scars on my left arm.

A bee flew into my mouth once and stung my tongue. Thankfully not too far back as my tongue really swelled up.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I ran over a pigeon a couple of weeks ago. Big explosion of feathers, but it flew off. All the pedestrians were horrified and sending me dirty looks.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • One of my commute routes is very rural, genuinly hundreds of rabbits this time of year,never squished one though.

Worst are the frogs, late summer there will be a few days when they are out by the million. Frogs are very slippery under a bike wheel and its a bugger to get the splats from chainset.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i stood on a frog once. it was like a banana skin. i slipped right over.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • RR
    RR Posts: 24
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> But a baby moorhen did rush out onto a cycle route once straight into my front wheel, head into the spokes. It was quick and messy. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I had this happen with a pheasant

My bike produces less greenhouse gases than a Baby Elephant
    My bike produces less greenhouse gases than a Baby Elephant
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I had a "days of thunder" moment with a baby rabbit on a lane. It saw me coming and tried to get into the hedge but it panicked and couldn't get up the bank and dashed to the other side - same again so it just ran from side to side quickly. I aimed for where it had been last and thankfully avoided it. Nobody hurt.

I've also had a run in with a sheep - it was startled from the hedge and ran full pelt along the road with me, it then got more spooked and jumped into my bike and I was this close to coming off. I have to admit to dropping the bike and chasing it to try and give it a good kicking. Lucky for both of us I didn't catch it.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I ran over a squirrel last month. I still feel awful about it. Lots of close encounters with rabbits. Had a deer run across the road but missed comfortably. Frogs can also be a menace-rather slippery!
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    Regularly scare the furry pants off the local squirrel crew (accidentally I hasten to add). Then they give me a Paddington Hard Stare from behind a tree. Every sodding day last week; most disconcerting.

And they look like they're plotting something.

Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • The ban on foxhunting, that's what I blame. I've got rabbits all over the place on my commute. Foxes used to eat lots of them and keep numbers down. But since the fox hunting ban, the hunters have given up the chase and now run the russet-coloured devils down in their 4x4s. There's no foxes left anymore. Result: more rabbits than you can shake your pump at.

One group does synchronised diving next to the dual carriageway; another gathers in little groups and then scatters in all directions; the third is more freeform. They suffer fresh casualties every night from drivers, but seem to be willing to pay that price in order to keep scaring the sh*t out of cyclists.
    No chain, no gain
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RufusA</i>

Swallowed around 5 flying bugs on the mile past the canal on the way home.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That never happens to me! :)

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If I could do a baby elephant I'd use that instead.