pedal removal issue

wildmoustache
wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
edited July 2007 in Workshop
ok, my right spd-sl is determined never to leave it's belowed ultegra crank. but it needs to, as it's new home is a nice carbon record crank.

my question is: if i had the bike leaning against a wall with the drive side facing out (farthest from the wall) would i turn the pedal clockwise or anti-clockwise to get it off??

thanks!

Comments

• simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    Anti-clockwise.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    The R/H pedal has a normal thread and the L/H pedal has the L/H thread on the axle. So you need to turn it anti-clockwise.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    thanks guys
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    And.... Be careful of the stuck pedal, when it finally moves, it moves quickly. I still smarting from the cuts on my knuckles from a similar problem last week. My colleagues do not believe me that I was not fighting to get such cut up knuckles.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Put the crank in the three-o'clock position with the pedal spanner in-line; put your left foot on the pedal and grap the spanner with two hands and pull upwards as you press down with your foot - you should feel it give and pulling up means your hands are well clear of the chainrings.
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    make sure the chain is on the outer chainring or risk getting stabbed by the teeth, on your palm[B)]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • I always remember that if you hold a spanner on the pedals and spin the cranks the way of the free wheel, it tightens it.

Totally messes you up when you have to do it on a track bike.
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    How to remember; 'Righty tighty:Lefty loosey' for a clockwise turn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PLEASE SPONSOR ME</i>

I always remember that if you hold a spanner on the pedals and spin the cranks the way of the free wheel, it tightens it.

Totally messes you up when you have to do it on a track bike.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

simialr, I imagine if the pedal was fixed, then pedalling would naturally tighten it (or is it loosen it).
  • Rob_mcp
    Rob_mcp Posts: 297
    Simple - on each side you undo the pedal buy turning the spanner the opposite way to the crank rotation - which also means that if you have the crank pointing forwards and the spanner forward of that you put your foot on the pedal and lift the spanner upwards No need to blow your mind with lefts, rights, clockwise anti-clockwise etc!
  • I just remember that the right pedal tightens to the right and the left pedal tightens to the left

My custom Bertoletti

Lance

Helmet cam downhill action
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyclingfury</i>

I just remember that the right pedal tightens to the right and the left pedal tightens to the left

My custom Bertoletti

Lance

Helmet cam downhill action

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That would work if you only made half turns
  • mw336
    mw336 Posts: 26
    Easy one this, put the spanner on the pedal at the 12 o'clock position (either crank) and the spanners direction will always be rearward.

Hope that helps
  • naked_ollie
    naked_ollie Posts: 123
    Lots of good answers re. spanner technique - but the fact it's stuck seems to be the major issue to me. Best thing I've found is to boil a kettle and sling the whole lot over the pedal spindle/crank. The Alu crank will expand ever so slightly more than the steel pedal spindle and it'll come off a treat with any of the aforementioned spanner techniques.

Needless to say this only works with an Alu crank/Steel spindle combo!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I had a stuck pedal yesterday. Hadn't been removed since the mid 80s, and was well and truely immovable. Ended up taking off the crank arm and pedal body, holding the crank arm in a bench vice, and getting my little brother to yank it off (I couldn't do it due to a problem with my wrists). The bench was flexing away from the wall before it came loose...
  • George_N
    George_N Posts: 135
    I have just posted a reply to a similar query over on the MTB tech forum.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12536903

cheers

George
    George