Peugeot Road bike

bianco
bianco Posts: 78
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I've been offered a 1988 road bike for œ40 for plans to convert to fixie.

Good buy?

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Do you know what model? AFAIK Peugeot did some mediocre road bikes - 501 frames with cheapish components, and some top end bikes with 531 Pro frames in the late 80's/

TBH provided the frame was sound, nearly any of their road bikes of that vintage would be worth a punt as a winter! My old Triathalon of circa '88 has IMHO a nicer ride and isn't significantly heavier than the Sirrus I've recently purchased to replace it.

Whether you can get anything to fit it with the dodgy french threading on the headset etc. is another matter.

Nothing ventured....

HTH - Rufus.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Is it the right size for a start ? and what sort of condition is the frame in ?

I'm guessing it's Peugeot's Carbolite (sp?) tubing. If it fits you well, and frame hasn't been crash damaged and isn't going to fall apart any time soon, œ40 seems reasonable.

Danger ! Men at work
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Offer ?30.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    FERRARI 550 SPECIFICATIONS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Check whether the tyres are 27" or 700C, the latter giving you more choice on puncture resistant tyres/treads/brands.
  • pretty muchy what the others have said as long as it is thje right size and in good nick with 700c wheels it seems like a good deal,
    it does have horizontal dropouts though doesn't it?
    Cf
  • bulldicker
    bulldicker Posts: 61
    seat posts on peugeot bikes used to be an odd size24mm? i think, these can be difficult to find.
  • If its a Perthus Pro then it was the mutts in its day. Unless its damaged or rusty its easily worth the œ40, so I suspect it isn't one (wont be that cheap on ebay thats for sure)

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • scannings
    scannings Posts: 82
    I had a really nice Peugeot Road bike with mid level Campag kit that was nicked in 1988![:(]
    This one isn't a particularly fetching burgandy colour is it??!! [:)] [:)]

At the end of the day......................................it gets dark.
  • bianco
    bianco Posts: 78
    Haven't seen it yet, but I work with the guy and he tells me he used it a couple of times but he found he had bad knees and its been in the loft ever since.

anyways, you guys have convinced me to buy!

Thanks
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by scannings</i>

I had a really nice Peugeot Road bike with mid level Campag kit that was nicked in 1988![:(]
    This one isn't a particularly fetching burgandy colour is it??!! [:)] [:)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

bless