Innertubes not holding pressure

hamlets
hamlets Posts: 13
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi I am pretty new to road cycling but enjoying getting the miles in. I seem to be having a problem whereby instead of actually getting a puncture my tyre seems to half deflate. I went out tonight and had a drop in pressure managed to get some back in with a hand pump but it went down again in a few miles. When I got home I used a track pump to get up to 110psi. 1 hour later the tyre is half deflated again. I am using specialized inner tubes. I usually just replace the tube rather than have let me down on a ride but I just wondered if I am doing something wrong.

We are all prisoners of our own experiences
We are all prisoners of our own experiences including elephants.

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    You've either got a slow puncture, latex innertubes (though they don't go down in an hour, more like a couple of days), a leaky valve....or a fiendish air thief is syphoning off your tyre's air to sell on eBay at an inflated price!!

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Inflate and immerse! Sounds like the valve is leaking: holes usually take it all the way DOWN!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • hamlets
    Thanks I suspected valve problems should I be buying better quality tubes? Thanks also Rob according to Tony or is it Gordon now we don't have inflation any more things just go up in price instead!

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hamlets</i>

Thanks I suspected valve problems should I be buying better quality tubes? Thanks also Rob according to Tony or is it Gordon now we don't have inflation any more things just go up in price instead!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you use valve cap thingies? Is the valve screwed down fully before you put the cap on?

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hamlets</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Valve might just be a little loose.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • hamlets
    I usually use valve cap thingies but just in case this was the problem I left it off tonight after inflation and it still went down. I dont really have a problem buying the tubes and refitting them its just that this has happened twice in the last few weeks.

• When I say the valve might be a little loose, I don't mean the bit you unscrew to pump it up, you can actually unscrew and remove the valve and it was this which I thought could be loose.
    Ask your local bike shop to check it, they will have a small tool for the job.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • xchrisx
    xchrisx Posts: 37
    Does the inner have any existing repairs? Sometimes an improperly stuck patch can lift under higher pressure but hold air at lower pressure.

Chris

<font size="1">OS www.freebsd.org
    Browser www.firefox.com/</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">OS www.freebsd.org
    Browser www.firefox.com/</font id="size1">
  • Phil Russell
    Phil Russell Posts: 1,736
    I second having a check on the valve core ... it caught me out once. There will most likely be a small spanner flat on it to tighten ... about 3mm across. I fitted a new tube at one time and it would not keep air in for over a day ... the valve core was just a bit loose. A spanner tweak cured it.
    Cheers, Phil
  • hamlets
    Thanks guys I have now changed the tube. I must admit I don't know how I do it but I do seem to bend the valve slightly when pumping up.