Shimano to SRAM cassette

nibblescp
nibblescp Posts: 15
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi Folks,

Am thinking of swapping a Shimano HG50 cassette to SRAM PG730 (both 7 speed). Any compatibility issues in swapping these or is it a straight swap. Also any concerns re: using HG/IG chains with an SRAM cassette ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Crankycp
    Crankycp Posts: 11
    I've changed Shimano 8 speed to SRAM on both my road bike and MTB and have never looked back. I think SRAM cassettes are one of the best kept secrets in cycling - for the equivalent price they're lighter and much smoother shifting. So I'd say go for it. There shouldn't be a compatability problem with a Shimano chain, provided it's not worn/stretched.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I've changed between the two on several occasions with no hassle at all.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • nibblescp
    nibblescp Posts: 15
    Cheers both, that's tonights job sorted then!
  • On a related note, can you do this same swap going from SRAM/Shimano 8 speed to SRAM/Shimano 9 speed?

(Sorry for the hijack!)

Ed
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cranky</i>

I've changed Shimano 8 speed to SRAM on both my road bike and MTB and have never looked back. I think SRAM cassettes are one of the best kept secrets in cycling - for the equivalent price they're lighter and much smoother shifting. So I'd say go for it. There shouldn't be a compatability problem with a Shimano chain, provided it's not worn/stretched.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Im considering this , as the road sram 8 speed seems a lot lighter , doeas the same apply to the chain?

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • campagman
    campagman Posts: 73
    Does the SRAM cassette work ok with Shimano derailleur and g'levers? I thought that they were for use with SRAM components.

remember to keep pedalling in circles.
    remember to keep pedalling in circles.
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    The new Force and Rival only work with each other. The older Sram works fine with shimano.
  • Crankycp
    Crankycp Posts: 11
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cranky</i>

<i>Originally posted by starseven</i>

Im considering this , as the road sram 8 speed seems a lot lighter , doeas the same apply to the chain?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know if there's a weight difference but I've used both Shimano and SRAM chains with SRAM cassettes without problems.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    You can use Shimano 10 speed cassettes and most cranks with Force and Rival It's just the mechs that only work with the shifters. I'm sure it says on the official site that you can even use Campag stuff with them.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.