submersion damage?

formerlyknownasbonj
formerlyknownasbonj Posts: 483
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Just had a thought, not ridden my bike since yesterday but was just wondering what's the chances of bottom bracket damage through submersion? i.e. due to flooding?
I live in this building...bikes are stored on the ground floor!

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    No worries - strip the bike down and make sure your drain out all the water. Dry out and regrease all bearings - there should be no lasting damage as long as you don't leave it too long
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you mean you let your baby get wet[:0]
    that's some flood

Non Omnis Moriar
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    If it is a steel frame, strip it and suirt some WD40 into every hole on the frame that you can see, to try & drive out as much moisture as you can.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

Sponsor me for the Ride of the Roses BHF ride
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    you in sheffield by the sea?

winning is everything
    the reason i breathe
    a mans best friend
    legend
    roubaix

couldn't think of a stupid elephant gag
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Depending upon the 'quality' of the bike, I'd get the hubs looked at as well - the quicker you do it the more damage limitation you can do.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    It's possible that the BB will be damaged - but it's not possible or worth the hassle to regrease the cartridge type. Just forget it until any play or roughness is apparent - then replace it.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    They'll survive it a lot better than the cars!
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Depends on the BB. Some of the models with oversized axles compensate by using smaller bearings - which IME don't last as well and aren't as tough as the normal sized bearings (hence the move to external BBs). As above, plenty of WD40, any damage will soon become apparent!

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    for what its worth, my bike was submerged in sea water (house backed onto the Itchen and highest tides ever christmas 1999 also co-incided with a neighbors sea wall being broken). I'm still using the same campag chorus cartridge bb. (installed in 1991) The Mavic531 hubbed wheels have been retired, only because I've gone to 10 speed at the back, they still spin freely. The steel 531c frame will go for respray this winter, but I'd say more damage from sweat from the turbo than from the sea water.
    I just dried and hoped for the best. Derailleurs chain, and brakes were worst affected. They've all been changed.