Going to Macon - France

Tackle
Tackle Posts: 387
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi all.

Been a long while since I put in an appearance here. Anyway, forgive me for the absence, and could I possibly pick your brains. I'm going to visit the inlaws for around 10 day tomorrow, they live in Macon, around 70 miles North of the Alpine region of France. Anyon here have any idea what the cycling teritory is like here? I will be taking the bike, but was just wondering if there is any special area I could give a visit to. We are going again in late September, and then I hope to tackle a couple of real Alpine climbs.

Thanks for any advice.

Tackle.

For one moment there I thought I was wrong, upon further reflection I feel I was misinformed regarding the requirments of the question.
Currently on an Orbea Onix.

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Rolling Champagne countryside, I believe. Very rustic and idyllic, blanket of vinyards, the mirror opposite of the Alps but charming in their own right.
  • Tim Bennet
    Tim Bennet Posts: 1,143
    Perhaps there's more than one Macon, but the one I've been through is a long way from the Champagne country. It's at the south end of the Burgundy wine region.

To the south and east of Macon it is fairly flat river valley riding (Rhone?), but to the north and west its pretty hilly and excellent cycling.
  • Tackle
    Tackle Posts: 387
    Yes Tim, it is the Macon in the Burgundy region of France, pleased to hear it's excelent cycling country, couldnt be stuck with the inlaws for 10 days solid now could I?

For one moment there I thought I was wrong, upon further reflection I feel I was misinformed regarding the requirments of the question.
    Currently on an Orbea Onix.
  • I was there 15 years ago as a motorist. I wasn't thinking as a cyclist like I do now. I recall though it was beautiful countryside, lots of white cows, green fields etc... i have some wonderful pictures (on slides or I would post them for you). I dont recall many hills but like I said ...I was a driver then not a rider.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • Back in the 70's I lived in Villefranche-sur-Soane, between Macon and Lyon.
    to the west of Macon is the start of the Massif Central if you like hills.
    Stay on the hillside facing east and go through some wine producing places like Fleurie, Morgon Julienas etc.
    to the east is rolling countryside for long distance.
    south is the Rhone-Saone valley down to Belleville ( as in Rendevous) and Villefranche.
    typical french countryside long straight tree lined roads.

enjoy, don't do too much "degustation"
    george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • Mike Bcp
    Mike Bcp Posts: 44
    We're not long back from a trip to Burgundy and, for part of the time, we used the superb Voie Verte system in southern Burgundy, the spine of which is a 60km stretch of beautifully surfaced former railway track between Givry and Macon, with a series of waymarked loops off the track. You can pick up leaflets and booklets about this from tourist offices. Highly recommended. One warning. The track at the northern end between Givry and Chalon doesn't exist as yet, despite being shown on the leaflet and on Michelin maps.
    M G Bonar
  • andyjef
    andyjef Posts: 53
    Agree about La Voie Verte ... it's got a great tunnel for cyclists too ( Tunnel du Bois Clair )about 10-15km due west of Macon and the route can be reached by cycle piste from the town.

Andy
  • Mike Bcp
    Mike Bcp Posts: 44
    You'll also be amused at the notices either end of the tunnel giving details of the annual closure (for the bat population) between October and March. A cartoon of bats closing the gates with the message 'Desolee, en dort' (Sorry, we're sleeping), translated into English on the notice as 'Afflicted, we sleep'! If anyone is staying beside the Voie Verte, I can recommend the delightful chambres and tables d'hote at Malay - just make sure your French is up to speed for conversation at the dinner table. There's also a quite superb cycle museum on the Voie Verte just outside Cormatin.
    M G Bonar