Crowd control

2»

Comments

• Frostblade
    Frostblade Posts: 836
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

Why does the military have so many staff on duty at Wimbledon? Soldiers, sailors and airmen, in uniform and so presumably on duty, can clearly be seen standing around in the aisles and at the entrance to the courts. They are in addition to the odd policemen.

Why are they there and who is paying their wages? Anyone know?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They are volunteers. They have to take leave to do it.

www.bikesquad.org
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There is a humourless depressed robot called Marvin who appears to remind CometGirl of you for some unfathomable reason.

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That's a tad unfair, I think. Marvin wasn't humorless exactly, just very very depressed. And that wasn't his fault, it was down to him being a personality prototype. He had a sense of humour, it was just very sardonic and sarcastic.

PC, the Trumpton regiment would probably like to do Wimbledon - after all, they really only ever did logistical stuff, rather than actual fighting. Like the Fire Brigade never fighting a fire.

Is it still the case that the ball boys/girls are from a local Barnados home? Or do homes like that even exist anymore?

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    I don't want to appear a smartarse but i did send a picture of Marvin to Simoncp a couple of times <i>months</i> ago
    Not that I am accusing Cometgirl of plagularism you understand..... convergent evolution and all that [:)]

[url][/url]http://images.quizilla.com/F/FalknerIsFalkner/1066942207_Jpgsmarvin.jpg[url][/url]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    The military also steward at Lords during test matches
    <a>road</a>
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Frostblade</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

Why does the military have so many staff on duty at Wimbledon? Soldiers, sailors and airmen, in uniform and so presumably on duty, can clearly be seen standing around in the aisles and at the entrance to the courts. They are in addition to the odd policemen.

www.bikesquad.org

So why do they wear workclothes while they are not at work and pursuing an activity in their leisure time? A policeman volunteers at a youth club near me. He doesn't wear his uniform, and why should he?
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    Surely he is only not wearing his uniform at the end of the act?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    Simon, you looked for a conspiracy and found none. You have lost, so for gawd's sake give it up.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Frostblade</i>

www.bikesquad.org

So why do they wear workclothes while they are not at work and pursuing an activity in their leisure time? A policeman volunteers at a youth club near me. He doesn't wear his uniform, and why should he?

That's fantastic. Having ascertained that they aren't being paid for out of taxpayer's money, so you can't complain about that, you are complaining about the wear and tear on uniforms...

I would imagine it's so that they can be identified as stewards. Why waste money giving them all a different uniform, when they already have one? Also, it's a free advert for the forces, I expect. And even if they aren't on paid duty, they are there representing the forces, whereas your policeman example is just doing a voluntary job, and just happens to be a policeman. No doubt if he wanted to give the youths a talk on road safty or no doing drugs, he'd wear the uniform.

Does it actually matter?

• redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Tennis is pretty dull stuff IMO. However, i'd sooner see the military lined up at Wimbledon than murdering innocents in Iraq.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • simoncp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

www.bikesquad.org

That's fantastic. Having ascertained that they aren't being paid for out of taxpayer's money, so you can't complain about that, you are complaining about the wear and tear on uniforms...

I would imagine it's so that they can be identified as stewards. Why waste money giving them all a different uniform, when they already have one? Also, it's a free advert for the forces, I expect. And even if they aren't on paid duty, they are there representing the forces, whereas your policeman example is just doing a voluntary job, and just happens to be a policeman. No doubt if he wanted to give the youths a talk on road safty or no doing drugs, he'd wear the uniform.

Does it actually matter?

Fantastic? The stuff of fantasy? I don't want people parading around in military uniform except when it is necessary to do so. This is peacetime in the UK. Military uniforms are not needed except for servicemen on duty.
  • cookiemonstercp
    cookiemonstercp Posts: 1,050
    <font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">What are you getting all worked up about? Does it really matter?

FWIW and I don't know for sure, it maybe because there are very well known people at Wimbledon and we are, apparently, on high alert for a terrorist attack and where better than a televised, high profile sporting event.

Just a guess though. </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">

Yeah but no but yeah but......
  • cookiemonstercp
    <font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Oh! and they may be needed to quell any riots on Centre Court if Sir Cliff Richard sings again. [;)][:D]</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">

• simoncp
    I don't like to see military personnel in everyday life. Why does a tennis tournament need to use them? It's odd. And I know it's odd because every other sporting event seems to manage without a military presence.

Servicemen in the employ of the public should not parade around commercial events, such as the Wimbledon tennis tournament, in uniform.

If they are on duty it is a misuse of public funds. If they are off duty it is a misuse of a public uniform.
  • cookiemonstercp
    <font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I don't think public funds are used. I think that the people who organise the event will pay for them via the admission fees, tv rights, advetising, sponsorship and the money they will earn from merchandise etc. I'm sure that public funds would be re-imbursed.

Again, not anything to get my knickers in a twist about.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">