Cycle friendly routes Holborn to Kennington?

bazzadigz
bazzadigz Posts: 300
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Any suggestions? I would prefer a quiet route but any would do

does anyone here do this route? i play football there and need to cycle.

Thanks

Dwaine Dibley!!!?
Dwaine Dibley!!!?

Comments

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Depend which bridge you prefer. Southwark is quiet, London is ok, I don't like Tower.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    The so-called "Quiet routes" are normally the worst possible ones for cycling on ime. More junctions, parked cars, pedestrians, speed bumps, crazy and inattentive driving, potholes etc. Stick to the main roads and use the bus lane if you want hassle free ride.

Link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    HONDA BATTLE OF THE BANDS HISTORY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    I agree with Dom.

For me, the safest route would be stright down to Aldwych, over Waterloo bridge and down towards elephant, right after the station and then straight all the way to Kennington.

Mostly bus lane, good visibility. No problems.

You are more likely to get hit on quiet side roads IMO

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    My route's similar to Zimzum, but not quiet roads exactly...

Kennington Rd, Bayliss Rd, Waterloo Rd, Waterloo Bridge, Aldwych, Kingsway

Folders
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Coming backi, give the Kingsway tunnel a go.

Big sign saying cyclists not allowed, just don't let them catch you!!!!!!!!

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

I agree with Dom.

For me, the safest route would be stright down to Aldwych, over Waterloo bridge and down towards elephant, right after the station and then straight all the way to Kennington.

Mostly bus lane, good visibility. No problems.

You are more likely to get hit on quiet side roads IMO

My Bikes My Commute
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ditto, I always argue for the big roads, the bigger the better and get looked at like I'm mad by the cycle route merchants, quicker, safer easier
  • another for the main route, a la ZimZum's suggestion. you will find loads of cyclists take that route also so buses, taxis, etc. are well aware of you - and it's a blast heading down the slope of waterloo bridge trying to time hitting a gap in the traffic on the roundabout

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I always use the main roads goign this way - very safe - good wide roads, lots of space.

I turn right at the Old Vic junction onto Baylis Road, straight across westminster bridge road, onto Kennington road.

Keep going till you can see Kennington Park right in front of you.

There's even a cycle path along Baylis road, if there's nothing parked in it, and you can be bothered using it.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    Blackfriars was my bridge back in the day, appreciate it might not be the best for this route