Commuting on a road bike/toe overlap...

mazcp
mazcp Posts: 953
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
As we both left work at the same time, I had a chance meeting with a road-bike-commuting colleague. We got chatting - as he got on his bike, I noticed his feet position relative to the front wheel...asked him if his toes ever clipped the front wheel when turning..."Yes, they do, but I normally use my upper body for making the turn rather than moving the handlebars."

As I'd like to get a road bike, this wasn't the answer I wanted to hear. Is this common with road bikes? I find it slightly disconcerting. Please allay my concerns.

Comments

• Depends on the bike, and your preferred cleat set-up maz.

I commute on a roadbike and wouldn't swap it for anything. I do have some toe overlap because I like my cleats right back in the shoes, and have big feet.

BUT I've never even come close to doing myself an injury thanks to toe overlap. In general riding it is very unlikely you would get to turn the bars enough to do it, and also one does tend to steer a roadbike by shifting around to make gentle sweeping turns.

Even trackstanding which I do a lot, mainly because failling to engage Look cleats is fairly easy, and drivers behind absolutely do not think that you might not be able to accelerate instantly. I haven't stuggled with that either which takes a fair bit of wheel turning.

In essence, you will barely notice it. You will naturally compensate in things like trackstands and very very tight turns, and the rest of the time you will just ride normally.

By a roadbike, they are lovely [:D]

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    generally it's not a problem unless you have big big feet or a seriously race-ready compact frame.

i get it on my fixed track frame, non on my condor.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • mazcp
    Thanks for the reply jaco. Much appreciated.
  • mazcp
    ...and PJ, cheers.
  • mazcp
    @PJ..big feet...oh dear, I wear sz 12!
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Smaller bikes often have toe-clip overlap. Some 'experts' get very exercised about this in reviews and go on about how dangerous it is, others recognise that it makes very little difference if you know how to handle a bike.

All my bike have it to some degree or other and it has never caused me any problem at all. You have to be twisting the wheel almost enough to be unable to ride forwards to have it make a difference, you certainly couldn't do that at any speed.

So yes, good positioning, slight upper-body movement and tilt is generally what you do to turn a corner almost all of the time...

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Now whilst I can agree with all you guys that there's nothing wrong with it - it's bloody annoying, particularly on a fixed wheel! Still wouldn't stop me from buying a particular bike but would probably be a minus point.
  • jakob_s
    jakob_s Posts: 477
    I have a decent amount of overlap, but it doesn't bother me. It's only an issue at very low speeds and then you learn how to position your feet to avoid it. (even on fixed)

FGG #2384
  • I really hate it - it is one of the deal-breakers when I am buying a new bike. Makes it dangerous to do a U-turn in a hurry, IMO.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    My winter Claud Butler = no overlap
    My superfast summer Ambrosio = lots

Never bothers me.

SNAPS
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Ive only just started using a road bike after commuting on a hybrid, far faster far less pedaling effort for the same speed, it just feels so much more nimble, and accelerates so much better, especially at the lights.

Im riding a Medium Frame Giant SCR Im 5'8" and wear size 9 shoes, Just went out and checked and definetely have toe overlap there, a good couple of inchs, have to say I havent actually noticed it at all on the road!

It early days yet, but I dont tend to do big turns on the handle bars instead I lean a lot anyway, even on a bike without toe overlap, turning the handlebars a lot to turn is upsetting the "flow" of the bike, leaning to turn just feels far safer regardless of toeoverlap issues.
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    I have two compact road bikes, one with full mudguards for extra overlap, and was told about this when I bought the first but then never gave it a thought. Get one.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If I could do a baby elephant I'd use that instead.
  • mazcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flycatcher</i>

I have two compact road bikes...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Sorry to ask a dumb question...what do you mean by 'compact'? Are you talking about the chainrings (2 of as opposed to a triple?) or something else?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    it's to do with the geometry, relaxed vs compact - compact tends to be tighter and, well, more compact, often a horizontal top tube. relaxed is an easier, more upright diamond.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Toe overlap on all 4 bikes (Colnago, Condor Tempo, Audax bike, Hack bike). Comes from being a short arse (5'9") with size 10 feet.

Never had a single problem, even on fixed. As others have said, it only really gets you when you're moving slowly and you learn to watch out for it.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Greenbank</i>

Toe overlap on all 4 bikes (Colnago, Condor Tempo, Audax bike, Hack bike). Comes from being a short arse (5'9") with size 10 feet.

Never had a single problem, even on fixed. As others have said, it only really gets you when you're moving slowly and you learn to watch out for it.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Agree, even with a fixed-wheeler it's no problem. You develop an auto-pilot like awareness for it and never give it concious thought really, not even at low speed. (Same with riding close to kerbs...something else you instinctively avoid on a fixed too).
    I would not let toe-overlap affect my bike choice.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1