High Vis or low vis panniers?

Bigtallfatbloke
Bigtallfatbloke Posts: 232
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
I am unable to decide between some high vis orange carradice overlanders or the lower vis green option[:I]

I am thinking that on the road the orange option is better, but when trying to reduce temptation for thieves the gren and balck would be better.

I notice from the pics of touring bikes that many go for the lower vis darker colours. I know it's just a matter of preference but before I lay out a large wedge of cash on rear/front and bar bags i thought I'd get some more experienced opinions.

Does it even matter?

Gravity sucks
Gravity sucks

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

I am unable to decide between some high vis orange carradice overlanders or the lower vis green option[:I]

I am thinking that on the road the orange option is better, but when trying to reduce temptation for thieves the gren and balck would be better.

I notice from the pics of touring bikes that many go for the lower vis darker colours. I know it's just a matter of preference but before I lay out a large wedge of cash on rear/front and bar bags i thought I'd get some more experienced opinions.

Does it even matter?

Gravity sucks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I bought the panniers whose capacity was sufficient for my needs and who price matched tha capacity of my wallet. Colour didn't even enter the equation as it didn't affect the performance of the bags.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Depends ,I would suppose , on whether you're the Sam Brown belted , crash helmeted , Hi-Viz jacketed sort of rider or not .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    I would have thought bright colours might be a deterrent to theives - until they'd got their botty well hidden they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Also in favour of bright colours in one of the principle rules of the (cyclists) road - BE SEEN. Having said that I'd feel a bit of a pr*** with gaudy colours, and they wouldn't be very good for stealth camping, but these are some of the issues.

Alpine Tour July 2006:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=l ... =1914&v=9d
    Forthcoming lap of Australia:http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • TorugartTim
    TorugartTim Posts: 105
    It's a non issue really, but for what it is worth...If I was touring mostly in Europe or North America, I'd go for bright colours as being seen is more of an issue. For developing countries, it's a bit more important to appear scruffy and too poor to be worth mugging, so I'd go for dull colours.
    The only mistake I made with regard to colour was getting the same colour for Mrs Creamcrackered and myself - we looks nice and mitchy-matchy, but I have to hunt through at least 4 identical panniers to find anything.

Tours in far away places
    Info:www.adventure-cycling-guide.co.uk
  • ok...I have just ordered the orange ones...BE SEEN won the day...no good worrying about thieves if I'm dead eh.

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

ok...I have just ordered the orange ones...BE SEEN won the day...no good worrying about thieves if I'm dead eh.

Gravity sucks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [:D]when you put it like that I suppose I'd get the bright ones also[:D]

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    ok...I have just ordered the orange ones...BE SEEN won the day...no good worrying about thieves if I'm dead eh.

Gravity sucks

I use a black pannier ever day for commuting. I find just having a pannier on the off side makes most drivers give you a wider berth.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • tyno
    tyno Posts: 3

Sigh... You've got it all wrong. The high vis stuff just makes you an easier target. You need matt black all the way so the drivers can't aim so easily.

Or at least that's the ideal in Sydney