Pennine Cycleway

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone ridden this, or parts of it.

Its on my list and could be my next "shakedown" ride, so just looking for info.

thanks

george

2 Bikes
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

Has anyone ridden this, or parts of it.

Its on my list and could be my next "shakedown" ride, so just looking for info.

thanks

george

2 Bikes
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Hi George.

I live in Hebden Bridge, which is on the route of the Pennine Cycleway. The planners, for reasons best known to themselves, have taken the route up a monster of a local cobbled climb known as <i>The Buttress</i> - <i><b>you almost certainly will not want to ride or even walk this</b></i> [:0]!!! The gradient is over 20% all the way up and I'd guesstimate that certain sections of it are 25%+. It is uneven in places, with drainage channels cutting across it. Descending the Buttress in the dry would be very, very tricky. In wet conditions, or in the autumn with dead leaves littered about - absolutely lethal! As for climbing it - have a go if you want, but I've never seen anybody manage it. Walking up with a loaded touring bike would be awful. As for Look cleats - you don't want to go there...

I would recommend anybody riding the route through Hebden Bridge from East to West to pass through town, and use the turning circle on the Todmorden side to come back for the climb of Heptonstall Road. This is enough of a challenge for any sane person. If you feel like it, ride straight up to the village of Heptonstall above Hebden Bridge. An easier option is to take the right fork through the woods which climbs more slowly and rejoins the other road at <i>Slack Bottom</i>. Yes, I know...[:)]! The Buttress comes out just next to the fork in the road. I think that the local chavs keep turning the cycleway sign to point up the road to Heptonstall, but I'm sure that it used to point through the woods.

The right turn after Slack takes you along the Widdop Road which is a very nice ride. Lovely views down over the National Trust beauty Spot of Hardcastle Crags to your right.

There are some very steep climbs on the route in this area, so make sure that you are equipped to deal with them (i.e. bring very strong legs or a bike with very low gears).

I hope you find this information useful. Enjoy your ride.

A Miss is as good as a mile, especially if she cycles...
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I've done the north section from Kendal - Appleby -Berwick (see guide by Ted Liddle). It's a very nice ride, easier than the central section which has some serious hills around Hebden Bridge as ColinJ mentions and also through the dales (Dent area). I also found it easier than C2C and Walney to Whitby. The only big hill on the northern section is Hartside, but unless you opt for the offroad route it is well graded. The route crosses Hadrian's wall and I allowed time to visit. Wark forest was fine and rideable. Signage is good. The only dodgy bits are crossing some fords in Northumberland which were quite overgrown. There is also an interesting looking offroad section through military land in Northumberland (Byreness) that's only open certain times (you have to phone ahead). Unfortunately I was unlucky! For me the best thing were the wide-open spaces and that there was none of the glass-strewn cycle paths on this section that are common on similar routes passing through urban centres.
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    I've done the whole route and remember that cobbled climb well - absolutely impossible! Overall it was very enjoyable but signage was patchy, especially north of Buxton. The section from Glossop to the Yorkshire Dales is extremely taxing (you climb or descend the whole time!) so I would advise shortening the daily mileage through this part. The climb up to Hartside is fairly tough but there's a good cafe at the top with great views on a clear day. I think it took 5.5 days.
  • Thanks for the info Colin. The Buttress seems like a good hill to miss out, does it ever get dry under all those trees?

The Heptonstall road looks bad enough!!!

cheers

george

Anyone else got local info?

2 Bikes
  • I did the complete ride, starting from Derby, in early April 06. I live in Devon and its hills but the Yorkshire section resulted in days either going up or down. Steeply, very steeply. Having planned a schedule that I thought was a relaxed pace it transpired that what with the aforementioned hills and truly horendous windy weather (against me) I found the schedule was just about all I wanted to ride most days. All in all the northern section was the best, however all sections had parts that were excellent. I used a mixture of YHAs and B&Bs and took seven days to complete. If you want me to email you details of my schedule and overnight stops I am happy to do it.

I have done the across Wales cycle route so am used to long distance Sustrans routes, but the Pennine Way was seriously harder. But I would do it again. The only part that cheesed me off was approaching Wooler when you get hemmed in by the Cheviots and the main A-class road (which I cycled a part of and it was truly horendous!); there have been numerous mentions of this part of the route and you just have to grin it and bear it or find an alternative.
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

Thanks for the info Colin. The Buttress seems like a good hill to miss out, <b>does it ever get dry under all those trees</b>?

The Heptonstall road looks bad enough!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, it is often very greasy up there. It's usually dry in the summer, but it has been somewhat damp round here the past couple of weeks! Later in the year fallen leaves are the real hazard, and also the moss that tends to grow on the cobbles...

Thinking about it, the climb of Pole Moor from Marsden is also an absolute pig! It was the only hill I had to walk last year. The first part is bad enough at about 20%, but then there is a sharp righthand bend and the road rears up to about 25%. It is a narrow road and there is a cobbled strip down the centre of the 25% bit so you have absolutely no chance of zig-zagging your way up - nasty!

• Sounds like its going to be a wild trip. so my estimate of 3 or 4 days is wildly out LOL

Still looking at the maps, profiles etc.

george

2 Bikes
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    Well it took me 5.5 days on an mtb and very average fitness. So 4 days is doable, but why bother? Much better to take your time and enjoy the view.
  • ColinJ
    Further to my comments about the Buttress - Here is what Bolton Clarion had to say about it!

• Like a red rag to a bull

That's it.

I just have to ride over and have a go.

or maybe I'll sleep on it and get my sanity back tomorrow LOL

george

2 Bikes