Help replacing RX100 crank

Shakka
Shakka Posts: 73
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have a work colleague who has just recently purchased a second hand road bike off ebay.
As I bike to work fairly regularly, I am expected to be the fountain of all knowledge [;)]

One of the first things he did was to replace the pedals with ones which have toe straps on them. Cycling into work this morning he noted the right hand pedal felt funny. No wonder - having a closer look, I could see the thread on the inside of the crank arm has gone completely, strangley though the thread on the pedal itself is fine.

The crank is a 170mm Shimano RX100 - what's the cheapest way off getting him back on the road?
Is it possible to purchase just a new right hand crank? Or would it be worth him buying a complete new crankset? If so, I guess I'd need to check the BB shape & size to ensure any new crankset would fit.

Anything I'm missing?
Also is it any easy job to replace a crankset, and do I require any special tools? I'm not that familiar with bike maintainance yet, but am prepared to give it a go, if it's not too big a chore.

Cheers