Look models old v new

Uzbek
Uzbek Posts: 486
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My Look 396 pedals are well worn, have to replace this year perhaps but I've realised that the original Look models are being withdraw now. I can either try to snap up a cheap clearance sale pair of 5.1's or 396's or go for the Keo. My query is this-does the Keo feel pretty much the same in use? I note some models are pretty lightweight; are they reliable?

My old pedals have served me well and I like the feel of the Look system so I don't particularly want to change brand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...

Comments

• Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    Keos are great and no more squeaky cleats!!! Feel slightly different clipping in, but in use they are very similar.

Cake makes me happy
    Cake makes me happy
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    Thanks, that is basically what I wanted to know.

• andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    I believe the Keo's place the sole of your foot a lot closer to the pedal axle than the older models do, which is a good thing.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    I swapped from 396 to Keo, no major concerns, I hardly noticed any differences, just feel a little better, oh and they are lighter.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Switched from old style Look's to Keo's last year, no major problems except I still get "cleat sweak" occasionally, usually when they're about worn out, maybe its an audible early warning device Look have incorporated!!

You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • keithc440
    keithc440 Posts: 277
    Did any of you make the adjustment to seat height as recommended on the Look website (I think you need to lower it by about 5 mm) and if so did you have any other problems with your position regarding reach ?

Formby
  • Cyclistm
    I changed bike at the same time as pedals so didn't adjust the saddle height - that said not sure my set-up is accurate enough to notice a 5mm variance.
  • Cyclistm
    Actually - I also put keo on my 'other' bike but haven't adjusted the saddle height - not noticed any difference.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uzbek</i>
    My query is this-does the Keo feel pretty much the same in use? I note some models are pretty lightweight; are they reliable?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I find Keos slightly harder to clip into, but the slightly different size and shape of the cleats seems to make no difference to how they feel after that. The float also runs with less friction, though that might have something to do with the bi-material cleats with white teflon bits. A bi-material version is now available for the older pedals as well.

Keos seem reliable and the weight difference is large (for pedals).

Yes I did, and you should, lower your saddle. The handlebar stem can also be lowered to match.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>