Claud Butler/Dawes/Planet X/Surley Pacer

colsibob
colsibob Posts: 57
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hello

Just recently got the bug ! Up to now just been MTB but looking for a road bike for training and occasional commute.
been offered a Claud Butler - Roubaix Triple by local shop for œ350 - is this ok for beginner.- or any others recommended for similar budget.
Thought about going 2nd hand but worried about getting it set up right.
Any advise welcome

Thanks
Col

Comments

• Lot of snobbery around where people dont like Claude's but Ive got a Claude Butler 06 Milano and i think its a great bike. Maybee not what i'd choose if i had the cash to splash out on an all singing all dancing speed machine but it does what it sez on the tin and looks good so im happy.

my evil toad army will rule the world
    my evil toad army will rule the world
  • I used to cycle a Claud Butler MTB until I traded it in recently for my first road bike...and no matter how great I think the road bike is I miss my Claud Butler so much.
    If you are only starting out then go for it - you can always upgrade when you've cycled a few hundred miles and saved up a couple of grand!![:o)]

ooooh, what beautiful hairy baby elephant legs you have!
    ooooh, what beautiful hairy baby elephant legs you have!
  • DuncSF
    DuncSF Posts: 95
    I bought my first bike March 2006, a CB Roubaix double for similar price.
    It has helped me to get into cycling big time and the only thing I would say about this bike is the wheels are not very robust - I'm a heavier build and the spokes do need replacing a lot, plus the tyres they supply are poor, so get yourself some new ones.
    This bike was reviewed as a budget racer in C+ last year and came out well, just a comment in the article that the reach is long, so try the bike out before you part with your money.
    If it was me I would try and spend a bit more and go for Spec Allez.

Tarmac Chewer
    Tarmac Chewer
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    It sounds like a good price for the bike. I did spend the bit more and got an Allez, but I would say that as beginners, these two bikes will do the similar job of introducing us to road cycling. If we get into it and want to carry on and progress, we can save our pennies and get a better bike in a couple of years.
  • colsibob
    Just been offered a Dawes Giro 300 for œ120 and a used planet x for œ350
    He is not sure how they are

Does anyone know how long they have been making them.

And if they are good starter bike
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Dawes Giro 300 from two years ago with the dark red paintwork is a very nicely equipped bike. They used to cost 400 pounds. Great starter bike (friend has one), and as far as I can remember, has mudguard eyelets. The planet X, depending on what it is, could be a nicer bike, but for more cash. If you are just starting out, I might take the savings and get the Dawes. PLanet X Kaffenback would be great though. Very practical.
  • colsibob
    It is not a red colour - it is mainly a cream colour with bits of blue and Orange -does this mean it is older

Thanks
    Col
  • colsibob
    Help

Now been offered a Surly Pacer for œ300

Too much choice ! Too much confusion !

surley looks nice but never heard of them- anyone else know of them

Thanks