Alps or Pyrenees?

dag_on_a_bike
dag_on_a_bike Posts: 581
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
...or somewhere else.

I've got a chance for a week away in September and fancy taking the bike for a change of scenery.

I'm behind on my miles this year (due to medical reasons and resultant lack of motivation) so don't want anything too strenuous. But I do want to get some hills in - long but not too steep.

So, Alps or Pyrenees? Or is there somewhere else I should consider within easy reach?

Thanks.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green">Still old, Still here.</font id="green"></font id="size1">
There's no such thing as too old.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DAG on a bike</i>

...or somewhere else.

I've got a chance for a week away in September and fancy taking the bike for a change of scenery.

I'm behind on my miles this year (due to medical reasons and resultant lack of motivation) so don't want anything too strenuous. But I do want to get some hills in - long but not too steep.

So, Alps or Pyrenees? Or is there somewhere else I should consider within easy reach?

Thanks.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green">Still old, Still here.</font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pyrenees for me were much harder than the Alpes...a good deal steeper on average and also hotter...if you want a more relaxed time then head for the Alpes..but don't be fooled..those climbs are massive long and also really take it out you....maybe even the vercors/mallorca would be a better choice......they are not so strenuous...

P.s I preferred the Pyrenees to the Alpes...
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Pyrenees is my fav of the two.The dolomites are possibly even better!
    The main pyrenean climbs aren't TOO steep,but do be prepared to be sat in a low (possibly bottom) gear for an hour or two!
    The Tourmalet is a must if you do the Pyrenees,as is a visit to the cafe at the top!
    Whichever you choose,let us know,so you can get some relevant info.All the best

so many cols,so little time!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • greif
    greif Posts: 3
    Alps with Velo Classic Tours
    http://www.veloclassic.com/France-Alps-2007/index.htm
    did it last year, awesome. did the dolomites this year.
    Great routes, great service. highly recommend
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    In the centre of France is the overlooked Massif Central if you have been recovering and need less strenuous climbs the area may fit the bill.

The Gorge du Tarn is an amazing ride with lots of climbs up each side that are doable in under an hour. Very good food in the many villages along the Gorge, and the climb out from Florac up to and then along the Corniche des Cevennes is a great day out, once again a couple of restaurants to enjoy a glass or two and a good meal.
    There are many other good long climbs are to be found in the area. If you think the Alps or the Pyrennees may be too strenuous at the moment then its something to have a look at.

George
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Of Alps and Pyrenees, I prefer the grandeur and vistas of the Alps to the Pyrenees. Also the Summer climate is more reliably sunny, if hotter, in the Alps – too often clouds linger for days on the peaks of the Pyrenees and it stays cool and moist as consequence. But I understand that many British may prefer the Pyrenees, as greener and not so visually overwhelming.

However if you want something not so strenuous, you shouldn’t be considering either, unless you keep to the ‘foothills’ like RICHYBOYcp suggests (Vercors).

So why not consider the Jura or even better the Vosges – early Sept there is a cyclosportive, start in Gerardmer, and end of Sept there is the Etape de Legende.
    Or as jibi suggests the Massif Central – particularly the Ardeche, Montagne Noire and Puy Mary areas.

Not sure what best satisfies your ‘long but not too steep’ wish – maybe the northern part of the Massif Central, up by St. Etienne?
    Or the Bavarian Forest, the borderland to the Czech Republic.
    Or the Rockies!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Spanish side of Pyrenees is 'easier' , real Alps are grimly long. How about the BAronies area north of Ventoux, south of the VErcours national park? Nice quiet roads up to about 1300 metres, lots of villages, chambre D'hotes, camp sites, hotels. Excellent weather usually. Have a look at places NE, E & SE of Nyons (which is a nice place to be in itself). Sort of Provence but a bit alpy if you know what I mean.
    St ferreol trente pas has been our centre for 2 years. Simple cheapish auberge too (we camped) Google it!
    have fun