My first clipless pedal fall...

slyjackson
slyjackson Posts: 3
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Today I after I returned home from my sunday 15 miler, I was doing a little cooling off by riding up and donw the street a few times. My neighbor was outside with a few friends and he called me over so he could look at my bike. I pulled up into his driveway and hit the brakes and came to a complete stop.

Sh!!!t I forgot to un-clip, down I go! I use to play football and when i fall, I natually "Roll" when I hit the ground. The bike was flopped around a little since It was still attached while i was rolling. Got up without a scratch. It shocked all who saw it,because they did not know what happened. They thought I passed out or something since one of them saw me "tucked in" on the Aero bars coming down RT-210 smokin .

I got a good laugh out it and so did everyone else. I Knew this was going to happen, just did not know when. So much for showing off my "Cool" bike to the fellas today..

Anyway this was my first fall since I went with the " crank brothers Quattro's ". So add me to the list of clowns who forgot to unclip before he stopped..

"Free your Feet" or your a$$ is sure to follow, lol

Comments

• MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    If you're going to do it, do it with style in front of an audience.
  • john dixon
    john dixon Posts: 728
    I've never really understood this falling off because of clipless pedals stuff!

I've fallen off with the old toe traps just as much, if not more.............

Happy cycling, John
    Happy cycling, John
  • <i>I've never really understood this falling off because of clipless pedals stuff! </i>

Well John it's like this, When both of your feet are locked into the pedals and you come to a complete stop, one has three choices.

1. Be good enough to balance youself and your bike on the two wheels that are not rolling. (I'm not that good)

2. Unclip from the pedal at a speed that would make "Flash Gordon" Jealous. (I'm just not that fast yet, but I'm working on it)[;)]

3. Fall on you a$$ as I did since I was not quick enough to unclip as I was falling or good enough to balance myself on a bike that was not moving.

I can't explain it any better than this...[:)]
  • My clipless fall was on the first day I got them. Went round the block a couple of times, clipping in and unclipping, was feeling quite confident. Rode up the drive, came to a stop next to the step...

...And fell over the other way.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MrKawamura</i>

If you're going to do it, do it with style in front of an audience.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

especially your friends who'll never let you forget it!!
    can't argue with that[:)].

my baby elephant has more memory than my PC

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3480&id=567849808
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've only just moved to a bike with toe straps which I keep loose. Previously I just had plain bog standard pedals. I don't fancy clipping in and out for the reasons you say. Glad that you are okay. I hope your new? bike is okay as well.

Although it must have been a bit embarrasing, probably better to happen in your neighbour's driveway than when stopping at traffic lights.
    42 Posts: 98
    Latest fall. Came to a stop behind a car at a lightly up hill junction no problem at all. He started to move off........I pushed down with one foot, other foot off the ground and onto peddle and it clips in......he stops!!! I stop, look madly around for a car bonnet to place a hand on, no such luck, the nearest car is behind and to my left. All I could think was I hope he sees me fall over in front of his wheels.......and over I go. And like everyone else flapping around like a turtle on its back with a bike strapped to tis feet. To the driver who asked "are you all right?". Yer I'm an idiot!! Plenty of witnesses.
  • B1ondini
    B1ondini Posts: 25
    <font color="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Comic Sans MS">A few years back, I had JUST re-fitted my toe straps and cages to my mountain bike for some roadwork. I had it down at the bottom of the granny gears and was stupidly cycling very slowly on my gravel drive. I decided to steer round my old Land Rover when the front end wiped out - all at about a quarter of a mile an hour! Anyway, I had strapped in so tight, there was no way of getting out so I held out my arm as a went down to stabalise myself on the Land Rover front bumper. Unfortunately, my arm went behind the bumper and I landed, chest first on Land Rovers finest metalwork. Two broken ribs reminded me of the event for several months after that!

I have never used the cages since, but use SPD's all the time. I have also fallen a couple of times with these - s'pose I'm just a little clumsy!!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size3"></font id="blue">

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!
    I was standing still admiring the view, straddled over the bike, left foot still clipped in the pedals, right foot on the road surface which was sloped, old, smooth cobblestones, when suddenly the right shoe with its clip sole slid away backwards across the rounded cobbles.

As I went down sideways I put out my right arm to break my fall, and instead broke my forearm just near the wrist, its alignment thereafter more resembling a swan's neck than anything human.
  • mh130
    mh130 Posts: 19
    Since getting back to cycling this year I've been using straps and had my first fall a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I was coming into T2 on a sprint triathlon - forgot to take my left foot out and effectively threw myself to the ground with the bike falling on top of me. Around 150 people watching, plus wife and daughter. Marvellous. Think I'll have to leave clipless for a while yet...
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    Oh dear. Have just bought Look pedals..... watch this space![:)]

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    got my first pair three weeks ago and no falls, think I'm good now barring accidents

they're fairly loose which means in a panic they can be wrenched out, couple of near misses, mostly by being too casual and nearly going over the opposite side to that I'd unclipped on, once in a crowd at the L2B, saved myself, just, bloke on the falling side reckoned he'd have held me up, saw it coming, I doubt it, I'd have been 17st on the hoof then

love them otherwise, no brainer, best money I've spent
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Still not fallen over with a year of SPDs. Just have the tension so loose that they unclip with no effort. Even when I've overbalanced and panicked, the feet have still come out in plenty of time, and not once come out unintentionally, even doing 110-120rpm down hills [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    Ive had SPD-SLs for about a month now and only fallen once. Luckily only grazed my knee a bit. My mate found it hilarious though.

Had a few close calls on a charity ride on sunday when people in front of me suddenly stopped. Amazingly i clipped out at the last possibly second each time. Must be instinct.
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dakid</i>

Still not fallen over with a year of SPDs. Just have the tension so loose that they unclip with no effort. Even when I've overbalanced and panicked, the feet have still come out in plenty of time, and not once come out unintentionally, even doing 110-120rpm down hills [:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's almost what I was going to say, except that I did have one clipless fall in my back garden when I first got the pedals. The LBS man asked me to make sure I rode on grass when I first fitted the spuds, so I did, and dutifully pedalled up and down my back garden a few times. Unfortunately, during a wobble, I went crashing sideways and smashed my left forearm onto the garden path [:I]

Haven't had another fall since then.. but I keep the tension so ridiculously loose that my feet will easily pop off the pdeals with the slightest bit of panicked foot wiggling.

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue