Wired or Not?

Rich Hcp
Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I'm buying a road bike after many MTB miles.

I've had a Cateye 7 wireless computer on that bike that has been faultless. I was told wireless is better for an MTB becasue there are no wires to break against the scenery, which makes sense to me!

Now I'm going to have a road bike as well, so the question is:
Is it worth the extra expence for a wireless computer?

Are there any advantages of one the other?

Thanks in advance[8D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
Padded shorts![:D]
Richard

Giving it Large

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich H</i>

I'm buying a road bike after many MTB miles.

I've had a Cateye 7 wireless computer on that bike that has been faultless. I was told wireless is better for an MTB becasue there are no wires to break against the scenery, which makes sense to me!

Now I'm going to have a road bike as well, so the question is:
    Is it worth the extra expence for a wireless computer?

Are there any advantages of one the other?

Thanks in advance[8D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My only experience - do not buy a cheap one. I bought a budget wireless 'no name' one in Canada and found it picked up interference from my HRM and traffic lights!. I have a wired (Cateye Astrale) on both road bikes. However my wife uses the fairly pricey Cateye one, and it seems to be ok.
  • kevinh
    kevinh Posts: 22
    I have given up on wireless. I only bought cheap (Lidl) but the problem seemed to be the battery in the transmitter. They are quite expensive to replace and as soon as the volts start to drop the computer becomes unreliable.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Have a couple of wireless ones, Polar and the Shimano Flightdeck. They both work fine, but the only advantages over wired on a road bike are aesthetic ones, one less wire to route from fork to bars. If you're going budget wired would probably make more sense.

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Wired. Way more reliable and loads more functions at a fraction of the cost.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.
  • Ive got a cheap Halfords 8 function wireless one on my roadbike and its worked fine for the 3 month that i have had it. Even in torrential rain, and never had any problems with interference.

my evil toad army will rule the world
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I prefer wired, because I dont have to remember to turn it on after every stopover.
  • B1ondini
    B1ondini Posts: 25
    <font color="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I've had a Halfords 8 function wireless on my commuter bike. I don't like the fact that I have to switch the computer on before I set off - I have forgot to switch it on a couple of times which messes my spreadsheets up at the end of the week.

I also found another little quirk - when I switch on my bar mounted LED front lamp, the speedo freezes, and ultimately gives up reading, this includes the miles too!

All in all, I'd go for wired anyday - not had any problems on any other of my bikes fitted with them.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size3"></font id="blue">

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!
  • Yeah i must admit blondini that is a pain in the posterior with the halfords computer. I have forgotten to switch it on a couple of times and although i dont fill in training spreadsheets i do feel cheated out of some miles on the odometer. Ive even been sad enough to think i might sit in the garden one day and just spin the front wheel for an hour to make up the miles i have been robbed of.....................................yes i know that is probably the saddest thing you have ever heard but i hate being cheated more than root canal surgery

Ive changed my vote.....go for wired. Its the future!!!

• penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Got-to-get-fit</i>

Ive even been sad enough to think i might sit in the garden one day and just spin the front wheel for an hour to make up the miles i have been robbed of.....................................yes i know that is probably the saddest thing you have ever heard but i hate being cheated more than root canal surgery
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think it's more than the bike computer that has a wiring problem [;)]

Seriously, I have wireless on 2 of my bikes and don't have any problem at all with them. I agree that it's mostly about looks and I have the wireless computers on my best machines, which I'm happy to keep looking as sleek as possible [8D]

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    I have given up on wireless which i have found to be unreliable - especially at low temperatures in the winter when they become very erratic.

Get a Cateye Astrale 8 which will give you cadence as well. It will be the best œ30 you ever spent!