CAMPAGNOLO CENTAUR 10 SPEED HUBS

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited June 2007 in Workshop
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 43916f493b

I am a bit annoyed as I took Parker up on their offer of:
CAMPAGNOLO CENTAUR 10 SPEED HUBS 2006
40% discount RRP œ134.95 sale œ79.95

I recieved a set of Daytona hubs these were not Centaur 2006 like they advertised. The hubs didn't have a high shine and were without the Campy logo which is probably normal for Daytona. I don't really know?

The guy said that Centaur had just taken over Daytona and that they had changed and updated the website, I correct the guy and said that Daytona was changed to Centaur well before 2006.

The website has not been updated and they can omnly offer me the Daytona hubs.

Under the trade discriptions act where do they stand?

What does any one think?

Comments

• Return them. And post on a well read, major cycling forum so that we all hear about their dodgy practices.

They did a similar trick with me recently. Just return the goods and don't use Parkers again. Simple.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Daytona hub shells are exactly the same as Centaur 2006 hub shells. They're no less shiny. In fact the Chorus ones aren't shinier and they don't have logos too. The axles and bearings are the same as well - with all Daytona, Centaur and Chorus hubs up to 2006.

They all look a bit dull in reality because they are anodised. The upside is that dirt wipes off easily and they never need poliishing. Campag are naughty in making them look more shiny in the pictures. Sometimes I wonder if they photograph hubs that haven't been anodised.

If there is any difference it will be with the quick release skewer.

Parker International are generally good so I wouldn't give them a hard time for this minor misdescription. For a good price you've got a pair of extremely high quality lightweight hubs that are similar to Chorus 2006, let alone Centaur.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • GaryGkn
    Ok Pete but I am annoyed at the practice of labelling and selling them as Centaur 2006 when they are not. The rest of my groupset is Centaur 2006 which is why I wanted them. I do take your point that they are a good hubset. My friend has a set of Veloce and they are really shiny with a Campy logo. Are Ambrosio hubs as high quality?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    I agree with Pete - at that price, they are a good pair of hubs andd better than the 2007 model which are more akin to Veloce.
  • pbiggs
    I can understand the annoyance - and I would write to Parker's Managing Director to suggest they correct their website. But I would not return the goods if I could not find a better price for Daytona/Centaur06/Chorus elsewhere.

Older Veloce hubs aren't anodised and they do look beautiful - but they need work to keep them looking like that. (By the way, they can be made even shinier by polishing with metal polish). Daytona/Centaur hubs don't look so nice to begin with - but they don't get any worse.

I don't know of any other hubs that provide such value for money in terms of weight and practicality. I particularly like the threadless cone design - which means they can be adjusted easily and with the wheels in the bike.

Campag's best engineering is in these hubs. They may not look that hot from the outside but the small parts inside are beautifully well made.

I can't remember what Ambrosio hubs are like, but they're not going to be like Campag's.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • GaryGkn
    I didn't like the look or the down graded quality on the 2007.
  • GaryGkn
    I returned them as soon as they arrived as the chap on the phone at Parkers said hey would be replaced with 2006 Centaur also my receipt etc did not say Daytona when he looked it up but I take your point about the quality. It just annoys me in principle. God knows what would have happened if I had ordered Chorus 2006? Daytona replacement perhaps?
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    I can follow both parts of this, that basically Camapg undertake a lot of badge engineering, the same item with slightly different specs, but within a different groupset, but then also the fact that if they advertised a 2006 hub, then really that is what they should have provided - item as described, and all that sale of goods stuff.

Got to say, I've also been subject to some odd descriptions on the Parker website, a racing T rear mech that was described as 2000, when it arrived was a 2001 - with all the difference in the ergo cable pull etc. Annoying.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

Sponsor me for the Ride of the Roses BHF ride
  • GaryGkn
    I called them and they said they didn't have any 2006 but I could have the Daytona. Still a little irate so I will leave it a few days and then decide.
  • Joys of on line. Now if you'd gone into a shop they would have opened them in front of you.

PS daytona was 2001 I think.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • GaryGkn
    Exactly. Daytona 2001 was not selling at œ134.95 in 2006 and they were not called Centaur 2006. In theory you could have bought a load of discounted Daytona 2001 hubsets and then claimed they were Centaur 2006 and claimed a 40% discount. But I do take take on board that they are a quality hub.
  • pbiggs
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

Joys of on line. Now if you'd gone into a shop they would have opened them in front of you.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">And you would have had to pay a hell of a lot more. That's if they had any Campag stuff at all.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Ambrosio hubs aren't such good quality - they're made by Formula in Taiwan and use sealed cartridge bearings - similar to the 2007 Centaur model. However, for œ6 you can get a pair of sealed stainless bearings to replace them - but I'd still prefer the Campag ones. Have you ever considered that this is just a simple mistake? I've used Parkers for years and known them as being friendly and reliable.
  • GaryGkn
    Yes it was my first consideration. Originally I rang and they confirmed they had Centaur 2006 and they could post them that day so I bought them. When Daytona arrived I rang them and they said send them back we will replce them with the correct Centaur 2006. The package never arrived so I rang them and they said the choice is Daytona as they don't have any Centaut 2006. That what is annoying. I phone they go away and check and say they have stock of Centaur 2006 etc. They never mentioned Daytona in any conversation until I persisted in chasing my order.
  • Jim S
    Jim S Posts: 94
    I have had a similar problem with Parker's on two occasions, the last one being the last straw.

LBS every time from now on.
  • TRcp
    TRcp Posts: 418
    Daytona hubs - lovely, get some.
  • GaryGkn
    Actually online can be very good I think it is the human error bit which is obstructive to the experience!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryGkn</i>

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 43916f493b

I am a bit annoyed as I took Parker up on their offer of:
    CAMPAGNOLO CENTAUR 10 SPEED HUBS 2006
    40% discount RRP œ134.95 sale œ79.95

I recieved a set of Daytona hubs these were not Centaur 2006 like they advertised. The hubs didn't have a high shine and were without the Campy logo which is probably normal for Daytona. I don't really know?

The guy said that Centaur had just taken over Daytona and that they had changed and updated the website, I correct the guy and said that Daytona was changed to Centaur well before 2006.

The website has not been updated and they can omnly offer me the Daytona hubs.

Under the trade discriptions act where do they stand?

What does any one think?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

To be honest I don't think there is a great deal to worry about, you're getting exactly the same product. Granted the Daytona name dates back to 2001 so it's hardly 'just taken over' but I think the main point of the label was to differentiate them from 2007 Centaur hubs which are waaaaaay different to 2000-2006 third level hubs and exactly the same as 2007 Veloce (except for the skewer) and 2007 Mirage (except for the colour). Given this change Centaur hubs are now much sought after and I'd consider that you got a bargain if I were you.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • GaryGkn
    Many thanks to you all. I have calmed down now and will have a talk with Parker.
  • Saddle bum
    Saddle bum Posts: 2,044
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

.............. Given this change Centaur hubs are now much sought after and I'd consider that you got a bargain if I were you.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed, on both counts.

Molon Labe.

Molon Labe.