Pedal spanner recommendations?

Border Cyclist
Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

After a bit of an incident at the weekend I need a new pedal spanner... as well as a new crankset and pedals to replace those I wrecked [B)]

Does anyone have any recommendations? Does anyone rate the more expensive Park models (PW3 and PW4)?

Thanks.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    surely any open ended 15mm spanner will do no?

I just use the one that came in a spanner set I got about 10 years ago - I can't imagine that the park ones do anything special. They are probably a bit longer so you can get the pedal done up a bit tighter, but I've never had a problem with my std spanners!
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I have a Tacx pedal spanner - It's actually for use as a cone spanner, as it's the only thing the shop had which was narrow enough - cost an arm and a leg.

If you have hex bolts slots on the back of the pedal axle, you could use a torque wrench instead.
  • PEDROS pedal spanner is nice

A standard 15 mm spanner can be too fat to fit some pedals, and the teeth ain't always deep enough

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Park Tool's one is excellent.

My Best Bike
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gkerr4</i>

I just use the one that came in a spanner set I got about 10 years ago - I can't imagine that the park ones do anything special. <b>They are probably a bit longer so you can get the pedal done up a bit tighter</b>, but I've never had a problem with my std spanners!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is no need to grolly pedals up to this extent. The extra length of these spanners is to make removing pedals easier, not to help you do them up tighter.

Spanners made specifically for pedals are often thinner, sometimes the flats on pedals are quite shallow. This often means you can't use a standard spanner on them.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Save your money for more interesting things, is my advice. This inexpensive pedal spanner from Mike Dyason does the job: http://tinyurl.com/2vazve

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    My pedal spanner is one of the things I'm always glad I bought when I have to use it. So much easier than a standard spanner. When replacing pedals I always grease the threads and only do them up finger tight, they tighten as you pedal anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    HEADSHOP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • pbiggs
    "<b><i>Note! The precession effect doesn't substitute for screwing your pedals in good and tight. It is very important to do so</i></b>"

- www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gkerr4</i>

I just use the one that came in a spanner set I got about 10 years ago - I can't imagine that the park ones do anything special. They are probably a bit longer so you can get the pedal done up a bit tighter, but I've never had a problem with my std spanners!

No my standard 15mm spanner is too fat to fit in the gap.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    My Lidl toolkit pedal spanner was too soft to get my pedals off, the metal just bent before the pedals budged. Taking the bike to LBS when the rain relents.......

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    I've got the short Park pedal and headset spanner which is excellent for home use. Any decent bike shop will get a pedal off with their big spanner if you ask nicely. It's one of those tools which is just pleasing to use - the trick is to stand on it if they're stuck, very carefully that is.

p.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FatBlokeFromFelixstowe</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gkerr4</i>

No my standard 15mm spanner is too fat to fit in the gap.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

oh right - maybe i have a skinny spanner or been lucky.

I can see that the length would help remove rather than tighten, thinking about it, as that can be difficult!
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    a good pedal spanner should be skinny enough to fit onto the flats of any pedal(so skinny-er than most standard open wrenches) but not as skinny as a cone spanner or headset wrench (nowhere near strong enough)- you are looking for one about 4mm thick. Std good open wrench is say 6mm and a cone spanner about 2mm. Further improvements are a plastic cover so you don't scratch the cranks (which are very soft and easily scratched!!) and a broader handle and/or plastic cover on the handle so it hurts less when you're trying to remove a pedal that some nutter has installed with some violence and no grease!

With some viligent sutfing, you should find a cheapish one that works.YMMV!
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.

If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>
    "<b><i>Note! The precession effect doesn't substitute for screwing your pedals in good and tight. It is very important to do so</i></b>"

Oh! [:I]

Thanks Pete. I shall tighten them from now on. Never had one fall off or even loosen though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Herbal Health Shop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • An ordinary 15mm spanner fits my pedals ok. I am thankful for that, as most cycle specific tools are designed to slip as you reach maximum torque and guide your knuckles toward the chainrings.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    I got the park one and its excellent. Nice soft handle that doesn't dig in, narrow enough to reach the flats and there's satisfying about using a great big spanner.
  • domtyler
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>
    An ordinary 15mm spanner fits my pedals ok. I am thankful for that, as most cycle specific tools are designed to slip as you reach maximum torque and guide your knuckles toward the chainrings.

Why do they do that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Michigan medical marijuana dispensary
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    My girlfreind calls me a geek for reading cycling forums. After having read 17 posts on the subject of pedal spanner recommendations I have, for the first time, caught a glimpse of her point of view.

Anyway, I would recommend pretty much any made for purpose pedal spanner. After having broken a general purpose Draper spanner on my pedals I went into the LBS and bought the cheapest one they had for œ15. Any old 15mm will not always get the job done, but I saw no need to own anything beyond an 'entry level' pedal spanner, as having the one that Lance uses will not make them spin quicker.
  • pbiggs
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

Oh! [:I]

Thanks Pete. I shall tighten them from now on. Never had one fall off or even loosen though.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I think it's one of those things where you will get away with not tightening 99% of the time, but for the sake of a quick push on a spanner, you can be absolutely sure it's going to be OK (assumimg no fault with the threads).

Shouldn't be a problem removing tight pedals if antiseize was used or if the pedals have been regularly removed and refitted, with the threads regreased - say once or twice a year.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I got mine from eBay for under a fiver and it is excellent [:D]

Rick
  • dannygcp
    dannygcp Posts: 151
    I'm intrigued to know whether the "bit of an incident" referred to in the OP was a crash, or an ill-fated attempt to remove a pedal with a dodgy spanner[?]

I've managed to destroy pedals and cranks doing both.

And yes 17+ responses on pedal spanners is definitely geeky, or at least a sign that some of us need to find better things to do.
  • Border Cyclist
    Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

An ordinary 15mm spanner fits my pedals ok. I am thankful for that, as most cycle specific tools are designed to slip as you reach maximum torque and guide your knuckles toward the chainrings.

Ouch! The incident in the OP was a bit of an issue with removing apedal. I would have felt unlucky to trash cranks and pedals in a crash ... never mind a perfectly good (and not cheap) pedal spanner too.

Before spending œ15-30 on a new spneer, I thought I would canvass opinion. I never thought that Ii would get so many responses, so I am very grateful. I'm still not sure what to buy, though! The Park ones look good (and most Park tools are the best, except Tacx for bottom bracket tools) but I now seem to remember that there is one with little plastic side plates to avoid scratches.
  • A pair of cone spanners do fine in 90% of cases - and they work as....cone spanners!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155

Save your money for more interesting things, is my advice. This inexpensive pedal spanner from Mike Dyason does the job: http://tinyurl.com/2vazve

<i>~Pete</i>
    Seconded. Unless you are an everyday mechanic I've found Mike Dyason's tools thus far to be very very good value for money.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1