Argh Wind!

Frazercp
Frazercp Posts: 27
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Ive only been cycling a relatively short time (a few months) and have been progressing well...but today I met my biggest challenge yet...not in the form of a hill but wind!

I went out for a 30mile jaunt this morning, noticed a strong breeze for the first few miles through some countryside, then i dropped down into a long valley i normally cycle and average around 16-17mph along, but it was like the valley channeled the wind or something and it was a pure gale! At times i struggled to get above 10mph, even whilst getting into the most aerodynamic position i possibly could. Needless to say the cycle back through another valley was amazingly quick.

I havent experienced wind like this on a bike before and although i know it makes a difference, i really didnt expect it to be so difficult. Just thought i'd share this with you guys.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    yep - it's a killer.

I live on the coast and one of my favourite routes takes me around warton and west towards lytham and st annes - the wind along there (usually a westerly) can be soul destroying at times - struggling to remain, as you say, around 10mph.

It does make you stronger though - the constant need to pedal very hard builds your legs and aerobic capacity - so not all bad!
  • As GK says, although a real killer it's probably one of the best workouts you can have

My bikes - http://flickr.com/photos/82587774@N00/

I want one of these !! http://www.ciclicasati.it/italiano/foto_laser.htm
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Use it to your advantage, tune your position by listening for changes in the wind noise as you alter your position, obviously less is better, it is also a good workout for building strength.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    MAGIC FLIGHT
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Give me wind any day, I'd rather be struggling against the wind then be out in the rain, at least I remain dry and I don't have to clean my bike when I get in.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    wind is the one element that really hacks me off, I can tackle hills, rain, heat, cold, the lot and attack it, make the best of it, wind I loathe, having to cycle down hills, my routes have always been long and straight and if you geta head wind, you get it for the entire journey
  • I also suffer badly from wind[:D]...well somebody had to say it!

..seriously I was just out on my 35km loop in the weeing rain, th ewind was ok until the home stretch then it hit hard against me...I preferred the rain[:)]

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Is it just me or do you have nightmares about having a strong headwind going out only for it to change and face you down on the way back! Never actually happened but one day no doubt...
  • neslon
    neslon Posts: 54
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by allaction</i>

Is it just me or do you have nightmares about having a strong headwind going out only for it to change and face you down on the way back! Never actually happened but one day no doubt...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Seems to happen to me every day - I bike from newcastle to Cramlington, which is the windiest place in the world, and you can guarantee its in your face every time!