chamois cream

portuguese mike
portuguese mike Posts: 695
edited June 2007 in Workshop
this is probably a really stupid question (in fact i know it is but here it is anyway)is chamois cream, such as the one by assos, for your nether regions or is it for the longevity of non synthetic chamois leather?

apologies for the ignorance,

cheers,

mikey

pm
pm

Comments

• Ta,

Can you use it with synthetic chamois inserts and is it any better for your bits than sudacrem or savlon cream?

pm
    pm
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I find the best to be Boots zinc and castor oil cream from the baby section, excellent stuff and cheap.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • CliveM
    CliveM Posts: 12
    I have tried all sorts of creams. Sudocrem is sticky and messy if used in liberal quantities. Savlon does not seem to have the lubricating properties that are required - something containing lanolin is probably required for that. Best that I have found by far is Dermalon anti-chafe cream from Mike Dyason http://www.mikedyason.com . Not cheap at œ17.95 for a big tub, but probably a lot cheaper than Assos. Fine with sythetic pads and washes out easily on a cool wash.
    I would like to find something as good a lot cheaper - any other suggestions?

CliveM
    CliveM
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/list_sear ... &Category=

I've just started using the Portia product(in link above) as it is cheap, and so far, it seems to work OK.
    The Elite one is good but expensive.
    The Freddies Choice is also good, and a bit cheaper.
    The Assos stuff is goof, although expensive, and a bit too menthol on some occasions.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • bulldicker
    bulldicker Posts: 61
    udder cream from your local farm supply shop really cheap and comes in gallon tubs.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Assos, excellent stuff, can apply liberally to the chamois and I find it helps to dab a bit direct after a long day in the saddle.

D[:D]

Too short for my weight!
    The Bikes
    A Day out
    C2C 2006
  • skewer
    skewer Posts: 57
    OT,
    Diogenes, did you name yourself after the syndrome? Or did you name it?
    Skewer
  • alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    The Assos stuff is great, although it does have an odd burning sensation when it's first applied. It washes out fine and is fine for artifical chamois.

I've used sudocrem which is OK, but not in the same league as the Assos cream.
  • thanks everyone, i think i'll give Assos a go.

pm
    pm
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bulldicker</i>

udder cream from your local farm supply shop really cheap and comes in gallon tubs.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Just so I know: are you being serious? I like a bargain and this appeals to me common sense but sounds a lot like a joke.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Assos Chamois creme 140ml œ8.99 (140 ml is not a lot - 250 ml is half a pint ish)
    or a tub of Zinc and Castor oil creme from boots (not sure of the size but bigger than 140 ml) and the cost is œ2.49

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Try Deep Heat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Angelina jolie pic
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Diogenes
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skewer</i>

OT,
    Diogenes, did you name yourself after the syndrome? Or did you name it?
    Skewer

Skewer,

Poor old Diogenes of Sinope gets tarred with many unfortunate brushes, and whilst the diagnosis of frontal lobe impairment may not be far from the mark this was not the reason for the choice of names.

It was his pivotal role in developing the school of cynics which appealed to my natural reluctance to believe anything in the press which attracted me.

And of course my knees are decidedly dodgy.

D[;)]

Too short for my weight!
    The Bikes
    White Rose 2007
    C2C 2006
  • Diogenes
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Try Deep Heat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

"Goodness gracious great balls of fire".

D[}:)]

Too short for my weight!
    The Bikes
    White Rose 2007
    C2C 2006
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Try Deep Heat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Or maybe Tigerbalm[:0]

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    Another vote for Assos applied direct to the 'sit bone area', reduces soreness due to chafing. Might give this a go next:

http://www.notjustforcows.co.uk/index.html
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    I don't really get this thing about chamois cream. I can't imagine riding around with a greasy bum squishing and sliding over the chamois pad, which is just a bit of foam and cloth anyway. Doesn't it feel yukky? Isn't it messy? Does it really work?
  • Yukky no. Messy? No if you are careful. Work: yes yes yes. Chamois creme brought my 25 mile TT time down.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter from Boots. It looks like Assos cream, feels like Assos cream(without the menthol), but is much much cheaper than Assos cream. I find the cocoa butter works fine, but I don't spend more than 2-3hrs is the saddle when I use it. It may not be as good as Assos cream, but having splashed out on a tub thereof and not seen any real benefit over the cocoa butter I won't be buying it again.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)