Via Claudia Augusta

spokecp
spokecp Posts: 78
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone ridden this route? If so, info and hardness and niceness would be very well received,

Thanks,

spoke

Comments

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    I've not ridden it but I have got the book as I've been contemplating doing it:

Via Claudia Augusta
    Bikeline (pub: Esterbauer Verlag) ISBN 3-85000-131-8

The book's in German but it's got all the mapping you need and lists of hotels etc. Hope this is of some use.
  • spokecp
    yeah, Ive got that - damn shame its in German because it looks very informative.

The only thing I am a litle concerned about is the routes proximity to the main road. Cant be doing with the visual and aural pollution caused from the main road
  • ankev1
    I wouldn't worry to much about not understanding the text as it essentially consists of a detailed description of the route (for biffs who can't read maps) and things that are worth seeing but there's usually a picture of those anyway. The other key info is usually obvious e.g. spanner = bike shop that will do repairs.

As for the car thing; I've driven a bit of the route by car and except for the few stretches where you're on a roadside bike path, it doesn't look too bad i.e. the bike route seems to follow the old Roman route and the roads are newish and a bit seperate. I'll have a dig around on some German sites and see if there are any first hand reports. The couple of reviews of the route which I've read in German bike mags say it's excellent.
  • spokecp
    thanks for the reply, that would be grand - thanks.
  • ankev1
    Spoke,

I've had a look but so far come up with no narrative reports as opposed to short articles. The mags don't seem to want to put their full articles online. However all the short things I've found seem to agree on the following:

a. The Bikeline book is the best currently on the market, so you're OK there then.

b. The route is largely quiet and traffic free, which would appear to confirm my brief impression from the inside of a car.

c. You have to be barmy to try to cycle over the Fernpass bit and all agree that the sensible thing to do is to take the bike-carrying bus over that bit. There was one picture of the track there and it looked very difficult: biggish (about 2 -4 inch) loose stones, probably not even possible on a mountain bike.

If I do find something worth looking at, I'll put the link on here.