Bladed Spokes

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Workshop
How do I/can I true a wheel with bladed spokes, they turn when I turn the nipple and would I like all the spokes flat.

It's a new Mavic Aksium which has a slight kink in it, also want to just tighten each spoke now that i've ridden it a few miles.

Comments

• jonathan r
    jonathan r Posts: 88
    There will be a tool you can buy to hold the spokes in position while you tighten the nipples. Its a piece of plastic with a slot in. I have campag wheels with bladed spokes and have the same type of tool. Try one of the internet shops, Wiggle or Ribble, they should be able to supply you with this tool, or better still make your own.
  • I used a small adjustable spanner.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • Many thanks for the replies will give it a go.

Smoking Joe - your from down my way! Have I 'spoken' to you before on this? I live/from near Maenclochog but i've moved to Guildford now with work since last November. Riding just is'nt the same here as sunny Pembrokeshire!
  • Hi rhys, yes I think we spoke about this some time back along with Heavymental who is a St Davids lad.

Funny enough, I'm doing a few deliveries in Maenclochog on Wednesday evening. I occasionally pass through on the bike if I've got the energy for an extra loop after grinding over the top of Preseli.

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    When you buy Ksyriums you get a round plastic knob-thingy with 4 slots - that's the tool for the job!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

When you buy Ksyriums you get a round plastic knob-thingy with 4 slots - that's the tool for the job!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Sh!t, I remember throwing that away when I got my Askiums. I wondered what the hell it was for. [:I][:(]

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rhys_gibby</i>

....i've moved to Guildford now..... Riding just is'nt the same here as sunny Pembrokeshire!
    You're not a fan of the North Downs then?! OK, admittedly more short-ascents than long grinders.

OT: How do I stop my DB spokes from rotating when I tighten them?
  • John J
    John J Posts: 1,097
    Cut a slot in the edge of a small bit of wood to hold the spokes straight, if you haven't the right tool.

<hr noshade size="1">Wobbly John
    <font size="1"><font color="red">If it ain't broke - Fix it 'til it is </font id="red"></font id="size1">[;)]
    http://xntrick.co.uk
    <hr>Wobbly John
    <font><font>If it ain\'t broke - Fix it \'til it is </font></font>[;)]
    http://xntrick.co.uk
  • JWSurrey - I've done greats rides around here, just missing my loops at home. You out and about often? Fancy meeting up one day?
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rhys_gibby</i>

JWSurrey - I've done greats rides around here, just missing my loops at home. You out and about often? Fancy meeting up one day?
    Cripes mate, that sort of suggests that I'm fit enough to keep up!
    Yeah - but you may get bored of my "pace" [:D]
    I was thinking of joining the Kingston Wheelers on one of their 9am Sunday rides, if you fancy that. Short c.45 miler at c.16mph - reckon i'll be able to hang on with a good tow!

There's a developing secondary meeting point at the car park just beyond Waitrose in Cobham.... or up in to Surbiton to the start point.

Am usually out once a week - Saturday or Sunday. Have a few Mondays coming up soon.