Newbie hello, and help with bike choice

rohloff-rich
rohloff-rich Posts: 232
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi - mountain biker making a break onto the roadie scene here! Decided to buy a road bike for training purposes to get fit for a couple of MTB endurance events.

I'm planning to spend between œ700 and œ1000 on a nice road bike but I'm a bit bewildered with my choices!

I want Shimano 105 (at least) and really need a carbon rear end, if not complete frame for comfort - in many cases this leaves me with only reduced price 2006 bikes (which are getting tricky to come across) or heading towards the top end of my budget.

I'm no speed demon, but do plan to spend quite a bit of time on this bike so I want it to be 'right' (hence being specific about having 105 and carbon!). I know what I'm like so buying something cheap is a false economy - I'll only upgrade bits and end up spending the same anyway!

Current options:
2006 Kona Zing Deluxe
Scott Speedster S20 (not totally taken by this but does mean supporting my LBS who has been extremely helpful)
Condor Italia (seriously sexy bike!!)
A number of Bianchi options (but this means buying from Evans!)

My other potential option is a Planet X carbon, but I'm not keen on the wheelset and can't afford to upgrade (even though I doubt I'd be able to tell any difference, it's just a mental dislike).

What would you go for, and what options have I overlooked? Before we start can I write off Giant, Felt, Focus and Ribble please - unless I <i>REALLY</i> shouldn't for a <i>VERY</i> good reason! As I said, I know what I like and I'm not keen on those 4 from what I've seen.

Cheers

I've tried the darkside and now I want a slice of the action...
An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...

Comments

• Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    Why does it matter where you get your bianchi from. a bianchi is a bianchi init? you don't have to go back to Evans once you've got it.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • rohloff-rich
    I realise that Buggi - was just a joke, I don't have a problem buying it from them I'd just rather support my local bike shop

• on2wheels
    on2wheels Posts: 102
    Specialized Allez Elite, all 105, carbon forks ... œ899
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Erm.
    Without wanting to put you off buying a road bike.
    If you need to get fit for MTB endurance events why not ride your MTB?
    The muscle groups / types are not particularly compatible.
  • rohloff-rich
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zendog1</i>

Erm.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A hell of a lot of MTBers use road riding for fitness - it's less about the muscle types and more about the lung capacity, and the fact that you are riding 'a bike' regardless of what type of bike it is.

Leg strength is increased through road riding as MTBing isn't constant leg effort where road riding generally is - I don't believe the different muscle types used is that significant anyway, particularly at my level. At the end of the day on a road bike you are constantly working your leg muscles which has go to help when transferred back to the MTB.

Plus if you have an only an hour to spare of an evening you can still get in 15-20 miles on a road bike whereas on an MTB you'd only manage 8-10.

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rohloff-rich</i>

I realise that Buggi - was just a joke, I don't have a problem buying it from them I'd just rather support my local bike shop

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
    I like the cut of your jib young man! Good attitude! [:)]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • rohloff-rich
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like the cut of your jib young man! Good attitude! [:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well he <i>might</i> only be making me try to buy a bike from him, and he <i>might</i> just be saying bad stuff about other bikes just so as I don't go elsewhere - <b>BUT</b> he is also spending a hell of a lot of time giving me advice (as an MTBer and road rider himself) and understands that I can get better deals elsewhere, as well as trying to do deals on his own stock that he shouldn't be selling off cheap yet! Would be nice to be able to support him and repay his efforts!

Anyway, <i>really</i> leaning towards the Condor at the moment as the whole deal with being set up on the bike and choosing the components really appeals, especially as a first time roadie - just gotta sort out how and when I can get there now!

Any more advice anyone??

• allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I know you've seen the Cannondale post. I've posted a picture of it now. I don't think you'll be dissapointed, it is truly gorgeous.
  • rohloff-rich
    Such a good deal, can't resist!!

• cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rohloff-rich</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zendog1</i>

Erm.

Plus if you have an only an hour to spare of an evening you can still get in 15-20 miles on a road bike whereas on an MTB you'd only manage 8-10.

Wow, I must be doing good on my mountain bike then as I did 15 miles in an hour the other day.