Every sunday it's the same....

Got-to-get-fit
Got-to-get-fit Posts: 106
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
DROPPED

Everytime i read this Forum on a sunday someone posts his title as 'DROPPED' after a first club run.

Its quite funny but makes me think sod joining a club ...its like being chosen last for P.E at school. Im going to turn up in all my gear ride the first mile then end up slowly pedalling home on my own, depressed and friendless.

Why does nobody every post ...'KEPT UP'

my evil toad army will rule the world
my evil toad army will rule the world

Comments

• I have seen people saying this regularly. It does put me off joing a club too as i am not overly fit after years of smoking although i have stopped now. I heard that cycling clubs welcome beginners and dont leave people behind and go as slow as the new members on some runs. So which is true

Bike Piccies
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    It's not a problem with the bigger clubs - ours (Cambridge CC) has at least 3 runs at different speeds to suit a range of riders. (e.g. http://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/clubrides.htm)

The slowest regular ride ("touring") has lots of beginners and just about anyone that can do the distance can keep up.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Solution - different paced club runs

How? Addiscombe......

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • henderson_mk
    henderson_mk Posts: 637
    I solemnly promise to post KEPT UP the first time i finish a race! [:D]

==========================
    cheese. to be eaten, not listened to.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    If you don't ever get dropped you're not getting out of your comfort zone. It's good for the soul - take the positives out of the experience.

I love getting dropped, especially when it's raining and I'm facing a 25 mile limp home on my own.

To the tune of the Sex Pistols

"I am a maso-chist-a !"
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I didn't post this at the time so I'll post it now. I, at the time a 38 year old ex smoker and regular commuting cyclist, was not dropped on my first club run. There was no slower group option at the time. I think the average was around 16 mph.

I have been dropped however, but due to excessive caution during a descent on damp roads in February. I guess the rest of them took a left at the bottom. I didn't. I had a nice ride anyway, I tend to stuff a map in my jersey just in case.

I can understand the chosen last for PE thing, that's pretty much why I've never taken part in any kind of sport until I entered an evening ten a couple of years ago (I announced I was going to try it on here, then realised I'd have to follow through and post a time). I don't think that many people get dropped on a club run, but half of those that do probably post it here.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I depends on the club, and the type of run.

The club that I belong to, does two rides, a social ride, where they wait for the slowest rider (12-15mph), and the training ride (18-20 mph), where you have to keep up or get droped, but sometimes will slow down to help you out, providing you can keep up reasonably well, although the first time I wnt onthe training run, I wasn't sure if I could keep up, and after a while looked at the computer and found we were doing 25-30 mph, and I didn't even feel it.

If you are new to cycling, and the only clubs near you are full on race clubs, then do 6 months on your own first, just to build a reasonable fitness and pace, then join the club on a ride and see how you go. Riding in a group is easier, as the guys infront do most of the hard work riding into the wind.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    It sounds OK , waiting at the top of the hill for the slower riders , but I wouldn't want a bunch of people I don't know very well hanging around because I couldn't keep up.
    I'd rather wave their backsides goodbye and find my own way back home.

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    My club last year or maybe year before that it'd stay behind for the slower riders. This lasted for about 2 weeks then went back to the norm. I guess it does put new roadies off returning to club cycling.

As for our club, the pace normally hots up on the way back about 10 miles from home, where it can quite easily reach 30mph up and down the rolling hills, usually leaving a few of us tailed off the back after doing a pull at the front at high intensity...

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
  • gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    Being dropped is a risk, but then if your not in a club then arent you cycle alone anyway??

I have been out on few club runs, nobody gets dropped untill last few miles normally. The one i also get dropped from is the chaingang training rides, but then they are all well estabilished riders and i aint. Managed 1 out of 3 so far. But its what drives me on.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... 81/MTB.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... CN1063.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/ ... rFrame.jpg
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snakehips</i>

It sounds OK , waiting at the top of the hill for the slower riders , but I wouldn't want a bunch of people I don't know very well hanging around because I couldn't keep up.
    I'd rather wave their backsides goodbye and find my own way back home.

Snake
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd tried going on a few club runs in October last year, and didn't bother going after my second go as I felt too guilty about holding people up.
    Fast forward to now and I'm a lot fitter and manage fine with the pace and the climbs.

Danger ! Men at work
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    No offence but if you fast forward 12 months down the line and your fitness is pretty much up to scratch, you're easily averaging 20-30 mph in a group over distance, would you want to be having to hang around constantly waiting for someone puffing and panting up a gentle incline as if it's Mont Ventoux? I don't think so. There are plenty of clubs that cater for beginners, a lot of clubs are stuffed full of guys in their 50s and 60s that average 12-13 mph on a Sunday, why not start there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz World History
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    I went on my first club run a few weeks and managed to keep up fine, finished with a faster group. More of a brisk social run (averaged 17mph, waited for slower riders) than a pootle or hardcore training session.

As domtyler says, there's a balance to be had between encouraging new club members and making the ride worthwhile for decent cyclists. If you want some company while you ride at 12/13 mph join the CTC.