Good waterproof jacket

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Recommendations please for a lighweight one.[:)]

I got caught out in today and had a dismal 15 mile ride back home. I had fluorescent running jacket with me, I might as well have had a string vest, it soaked up and soaked through immediatley. [:(]

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i got mine from decathlon, cost about ten pounds, it's very light.

every waterproof i've tried results in me being probably just as damp after sweating like a fat bird in cake shop.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    I have the Lusso HT50 and Altura Nevis.
    Both are very waterproof...pros and cons..
    The Lusso doesnt seem as well made, i had to restitch a small section quite early on. Maybe just unlucky, who knows. But its lighter than the Nevis and i prefer the cut. The rest of the stitchings been solid, and i wear it quite regularly for commuting.

The Nevis is heavier and looks better quality. But, maybe too heavy for mild but wet rides.

Either way, waterproof they are, but you wont want to ride hard for any distance in them...too hot.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

• millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    If money is no object then i could reccomend the Rapha Softshell, or the Rapha Lightweight jacket, both are superb, especially while actually riding. However as i say, they are very expensive and the whole Rapha image is not necessarily everyones cup of tea, but if you can pierce the hyperbole and marketing bumpf underneath lies a superb jacket.
  • SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    I've got a number of waterproof jackets. Including, like GBB, a Lusso HT50 and an Altura Nevis. Funnily enough I always thought the Nevis was lighter although I've nver actually weighed them. I find the HT50 warmer, with its fleece collar and mesh lining, so I tend to wear that if it's cold and wet and reach for Nevis if it's warm and wet. If it just looks like showers I carry a race cape thing in my jersey pocket, it's by no means waterproof but it keeps the wind off while I dry out.

The Rapha jackets do look lovely, but I can't justify the money (or indeed the advertising director image). I admit to owning a Rapha cap, but I only wear it when alone in front of the mirror pretending to be a begrimed Belgian rouleur....
  • onehipwonder
    onehipwonder Posts: 129
    I have to say that I find any waterproof jacket very hot to wear despite claims of breathability. I have the Rapha lightweight (bought in sale [:)]) which I wore around the Surrey lanes today, was wet through overheating rather than rain ingress but it kept me warm and it is an excellent fit. I also have a Montane featherlight which folds up to the size of an apple and is good for light showery weather. I also have an Altura which is an autumn/winter jacket which I use to commute in, this is also very waterproof.
    Conclusion is that it doesn't matter how much you spend nothing breathes very well when you are exercising hard but some jackets are lighter or have more features etc, so the best thing you can do is try a few on in your price range and see what fits best and looks good[8D]
  • gbb
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

I've got a number of waterproof jackets. Including, like GBB, a Lusso HT50 and an Altura Nevis. <font color="red">Funnily enough I always thought the Nevis was lighter although I've nver actually weighed them</font id="red">. I find the HT50 warmer, with its fleece collar and mesh lining, so I tend to wear that if it's cold and wet and reach for Nevis if it's warm and wet. If it just looks like showers I carry a race cape thing in my jersey pocket, it's by no means waterproof but it keeps the wind off while I dry out.

The Rapha jackets do look lovely, but I can't justify the money (or indeed the advertising director image). I admit to owning a Rapha cap, but I only wear it when alone in front of the mirror pretending to be a begrimed Belgian rouleur....
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:I][:I]No, neither have i [:D]
    I will do in the next few days, just for my own peace of mind now...

• I have a Rapha Softshell and I would not say its waterproof but it is shower proof. The kind of heavy rain we've been having lately gets though it.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Re clamminess & waterproofs, there probably isn't one out there that will not cause clamminess of some degree or another, as the way breathable waterproofs work is to rely upon a temperature & humidity gradient between the inside of the jacket, and the outside world.

So the warmer & wetter it is outside the jacket, the less effective it is. The likes of gore tex etc are at their best in an artic or high mountain environment - cold, relatively dry means the fabric works at its best.

but that isn't to say it is pants, comfort relies a lot on making sure the layers under the jacket are up to scratch, and fortuantely most cycling kit is designed to wick, so no problems there.

My choice of waterproof is Chapak gore tex, bought from decathlon in france for about 90 euro - a good buy. Nice & snug, no frills water proof that packs down small enough to fit in a jesery pocket.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

Sponsor me for the Ride of the Roses BHF ride
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    I have an eVent jacket - supposedly the most breathable material on the market. It's great for walking/climbing but when cycling it still gets a bit clammy inside, especially on bare skin like my arms. I don't think you'll ever get something that will keep you completely dry.

I also have a Gore gilet and it's good for keeping your core dry and warm. The rest of me gets a soaking, but that's not too bad on a warm showery day.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • craigwend
    craigwend Posts: 321
    http://www.freetownsports.co.uk/products.php?cat=100

Space to rent '......................................................' reasonable offers only.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/craigwend
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk
  • Thanks for the replies, I'll check out some of those suggested today. In fact, I wish I had one of those suggetsed today it pouring down here.[:(]
  • gbb
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

I've got a number of waterproof jackets. Including, like GBB, a Lusso HT50 and an Altura Nevis. Funnily enough I always thought the Nevis was lighter although I've nver actually weighed them. I find the HT50 warmer, with its fleece collar and mesh lining, so I tend to wear that if it's cold and wet and reach for Nevis if it's warm and wet......
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:I][:I]For the weight weenies then (wot me)...i just weighed them both
    Nevis is roughly 585 grammes
    HT50 is roughly 515 grammes.

• I cannot find one big enough...even the so called xxxl stuff on wiggle is to small for me...right now my best bet is an oversized umbrella!

Actually I do have a waterproof jacket I bought once in Germany that fits, but it makes me sweat so much I would get less wet without it...I tell myself that sweating is good for weight loss though and whenever I take it off in front of anybody I just say that it leeks a little!

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    GBB - Ha you were right! Funny - I picked them both of the peg this morning, held one in each hand and thought 'Hmmmm... Nevis definitely lighter'. I'm going to try and weigh mine tonight - and check the pockets of the HT50, in case there's a chocolate bar or something in there making it heavier.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    245km in the drizzle/rain/downpour yesterday (with the worst of it at the end) in a Gore Alp-X jacket and my top remained pretty much dry.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • When I first started commuting, I invested in a Gill waterproof jacket and trousers.
    Jacket was about 70 quid if I recall, but it still works a treat after six years of regular soakings!
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Gore PacLite - Hi-Viz yellow centre, and unfortunately has black arms.
    Stuck a load of Respro 3M "pressure tape" on the back and on the arms above the elbows.
    Kept me dry for my 5 hours.
    The next guy up the hill happened to be wearing the same jacket!
  • dannygcp
    dannygcp Posts: 151
    Has anyone tried an Altura Velocity Jacket. Was looking at one in the shop the other day and liked the fact that it was similar in size, but cheaper, than a Gore Paclite. However the inside of the jacket felt very "rubbery" and I could imagine it feeling pretty uncomfortable once you start getting seaty.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    That rubbery backing on Gore Paclite is meant to absorb and hold moisture as it is passed through to the outside (in a similar manner to separate linings). Depending on humidity/temperature/how hard you're working, it can be overwhelmed. I suspect the Altura will be similar/worse than the Paclite. Generally their well designed jackets suffer from inferior choice of material. Now if only they would move to using eVent fabric ...

Cycling for a better City at www.cyclehereford.com
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have a lusso light weight weight waterproof jacket from parker for œ17.
    I dont see the need for the fleece lined ones. In the winter I just wear assos jacket and take my water proof folded up incase of rain.
    I used it recently in the Dartmoor sportive and Cymru gran fondo and in both rides it rained very heavily for hours and I was completely dry on top and warm.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    never got on with waterproofs, I'd rather get wet than sweaty

dug out the fifteen year old œ12 special yesterday and it worked just like it always did, you get damp straight way but it keeps the worse of the cold and wet off me, that seems like the right balance to me

granted longer and more measured trips might call for something different
  • I've got a Berghaus (not sure which) which was #40 down from #90. It kept all of last week's rain out; it rolls into the spare bottle holder. It's nearly always windy on my commutes so it hasn't been too sweaty yet, but it does need a cooling breeze.
    No chain, no gain
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Another thumbs up for the event fabric, used Endura's event jacket on a rain soaked C2C last week. Never got a drop of moisture from inside or out, worth every penny, superb item of clothing.

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one