Kids road bike for sub œ250?

TechnoBuddhist
TechnoBuddhist Posts: 108
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I've searched all over and made so many calls to shops and I cannot find a new bike for my daughter for less than œ250. I've seen cheaper with gears on the downtube(Raleigh Airlite and other 2nd hand ones), but I don't wanna go all retro on her. Halfords was my best bet, but the 'small' frames are 54cm!!

I don't wanna spend >œ250 on a bike in case she doesn't get into road bikes(you know what kids are like [;)]) and I need to resell it.

A bike with drop handles, integrated gears/brakes and 49/50 frame. A womans frame would be best, but I'm sure she can manage on a blokes.

I've put a post in the classifieds section, but I wanted to if I'm asking for too much for my money?

Comments

• paul_bhoy
    paul_bhoy Posts: 70
    Decathlon used to do a Kids road bike for about œ129, their website is crap so I would phone one of the stores

The beer always wins
    The beer always wins
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Have a look here <u>www.islabikes.co.uk</u> child specific road bikes.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • I'm not finidng anything on Decathlon, I'll have to call and see what I can find out. Islabikes *is* something I'd seen, but they start at œ299.

If I'm asking too much then the Isla *is* the cheapest. I'd better start thinking of interesting and exciting ways to help her stay interested. [:)]
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    My son has a 26" drop barred Islabike Luath, so i may be bit biased.....but worth considering is resale value.

If you buy a cheapish bike, you may not get a lot for it if / when you sell it 2nd hand. The Isla on the other hand - i suspect you'd get more than œ200 back on it - maybe œ230 ?? but once she gets on it, i suspect she'll enjoy it..........

Its a brill bike - for 300 you get a do anything bike - cross, road, tour, my son even uses his on an outdoor track - just needs a change of tyres.

do it

jc
    jc
  • Depends how well she gets into it(which is largely down to me, she's nearly 11) then Isla do a buy-back if you buy from them again, which is a good factor to consider.
  • Just a bit of info for others by way of closure of this thread.

I've ordered a "Dawes Giro 300" for œ249.99 from www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk. I was looking around for somewhere that had one in stock instead of waiting til next week(she's excited!)I found it œ10 cheaper today. Since it's already on order with Winstanleys I'll leave it with them.

A road bike with integrated gears(not on the downtube) for <=œ250, ...mission accomplished. I can rest easy for at least 18 months until she grows out of it and I have to do it all over again(which should be easier). Thx for all replies.
  • hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    i know its a bit late but maybe try your local bike clubs go to the local closed curcuit road races chat to the junior's.
  • I was gonna see how she likes it and maybe check out a local club myself and see if their are any juniors at them. Maybe even check out a club that is specifically geared to juniors. I'm sure there must be some reasonably local.
  • bianco
    bianco Posts: 78
    My decathlon (sheffield) have a kids road bike for œ61 new
  • bianco, what size do you know? I'll see if I can find a tel. no. it might fit my gf. She only wants it for occasional use and doesn't want us spending more than œ50-60 otherwise she said she'd feel guilty if it's left hanging in the garage :)