seatpost dimensions

Monowai
Monowai Posts: 329
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have an old frame that currently uses a 27.0 seatpost. It definately noes not take a 27.2 seatpost. Any idea if a 26.8 would fit or would it slip constantly?

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
Cake makes me happy

Comments

• I'm sure you can buy shims to pad a 26.8 out to fit a 27 seat tube
  • We use "Shim in a Can" at work and can be bought in 0.1mm and 0.05mm thickness.
    I had to use this in the better half's bike as the seatpost (standard 27.2mm) was a bit loose, and being aluminium I didn't want to over stress it.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monowai</i>

I have an old frame that currently uses a 27.0 seatpost. It definately noes not take a 27.2 seatpost. Any idea if a 26.8 would fit or would it slip constantly?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It might slip, or your clamp or frame might get damaged from over-tightening to stop it slipping.

Try the shimming idea. A 25.0 post with a USE 25.0 -> 27.0 shim would be another alternative if you couldn't find a desirable 27.0 post.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • just a thought could you try using a Coke can as a shim cut to size , I have seen other people on this and other forums saying how they tried it and it worked ok.

Sean

FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL!!
    Sean

FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL!!