Lads in Cars .........k**BHeads?

2»

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I had a beer can chucked at me once, it was empty though....

I was wearing normal clothes, so as the post above says,maybe that was it.

I ride mostly rural and mostly get plenty of room from drivers, i try to give them room too.

Cyclists in the middle of a narrow road annoy me and so i try to stay out of the way.

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • nilling
    nilling Posts: 75
    Last week driving home from work I must admit I did shout "allez allez" at a roadie who flew past me whilst I was in traffic, more out of jealousy then anything else [:D]
    ...finding a gear low enough to match my power output
  • Pringlecp
    Pringlecp Posts: 771
    I get my fair share of abuse as well - although I've found that most abusive drivers around here are so thick that they forget there are traffic lights and jams just up ahead. I'm 6'3" and 18 stone - the cockey little ****ers soon change their attitude when you pull up next to them - and as someone quoted earlier - you just have to learn how to deal with it.[;)]

Another year older, another Budweiser
    Another year older, another Budweiser
  • safc3
    safc3 Posts: 36
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by in the wire</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

I retorted that I did indeed own a car and it was'nt a piece of **** like his<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL, I think it's useful to have some cutting comebacks like this pre-prepared.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I dont get a lot of abuse but one story does make me chuckle. I was cut up badly buy this fat couple in a Range Rover. Managed to catch up with them up the road as they were getting out of their motor to go into an eat all u can chinese.
    After a few words my parting shot to the 'Lady', who was the worst of the pair was 'I hope you are on salads you fat c***!'
    Thought hubbys head was going to expolde but he couldnt catch me!
  • Ha Ha nice one Saf.

After writing this post yesterday i thought .....maybee im just being a bit over-reactionary and ive just had a spate of bad luck.....but not to be dissapointed as i cycled home in the pouring rain and howling wind 4 lads in a Rover drove past, over-revved their engine, swooped in front of me and shouted something unintelligable at me. Then again maybee they were just shouting words of encouragement and bellowing how much they admired my tenacity and chisseled calves...............or not!

my evil toad army will rule the world
  • maoridave
    maoridave Posts: 5
    Dont know if anyone is from south east london on the forum but on my commute from sidcup to lewisham i have had water thrown at me 3 times,i hope it was water!![:(!][:(!].Three lots of verbal abuse for no reason at all and a 65 year old woman try to force me onto the kirb
    in her 4x4,ah the joys of the south east[:)].Oh and a bus driver nudge
    my back wheel and tell me i was fond of solitary hand games[;)],after which i felt compelled to follow him to the next bus stop and ask him to get out and see what else my hands were capable of.

I checked my self after all these events and hand on heart none of them were my fault,the 4x4 and bus driver just didnt like it that i had got infront of them while the traffic built up.Being part maori i think i may start doing the haka at traffic lights to warn people off[:(!][:p]
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by webbhost</i>

I've had the occasional school kid shout at me (usually telling me to go faster lmao), but not alot else. I guess im one of the lucky ones.

Just out of interest - I wonder if clothing and appearance has any effect?

For example, are drivers less likely to cut you up and throw abuse at you if you are wearing proper gear and "look pro" as opposed to if you are wearing normal clothes and no helmet?

Even when in a car, i personally tend to have more respect for road cyclists that wear gear than teens going down the road dressed normally on a MTB.... ? (I dont drive btw, im referring to being a passenger lol. Perhaps this is just because seeing people in good gear inspires me to get on my own bike?)

For those of you that have replied, do you get get abuse and what clothing do you wear (also road bike or mountain bike?)

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6

Im completely the oposite and with your attitude cycling will never take off in this country.

To encourage cycling, when not riding for leisure purposes on my road bike i try to ride a normal looking commuter MTB in as normal clothing as possible to try to get away from the you look odd in lycra attitude most people have to cycling.

I lived in Germany for 7months of last year, most people cycle as part of their day to day life there, in normal clothes 95% without helmets on decent cycle lanes in many areas. I even had a white van man apologise to me over there.

....it is a different culture one we will sadly never have.

Coops
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....it is a different culture one we will sadly never have......
    Well, if it helps, I can't bring myself to ride in lycra shorts - so I stick with my trusty Foska baggies - which enables me to keep an eye on my wallet - when it's not being toasted in the local bike shop!

One nice experience last Sunday was getting rather unnerved to be honking up a steep short hill, kerb hugging to stay out the way, and the driver in a Rangie 4x4 rolled up and just sat patiently behind me at a decent distance.
    I was most perplexed, and after cresting the hill pulled over, stopped and waved them through, as they'd dropped back probably because I'd stopped. How unusually polite and non threatening driving, I thought..... French plates!
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited October 2007
    best to report it
  • Coops,

I dont think what you wear should make any difference at all. If you are wearing all the lycra gear then that is your own personal choice and is probably made because that is what you feel comfortable riding in.
    Myself...i do wear lycra shorts. But for a different reason, when i get soaked on the way to work by the rain they dry out in a matter of minutes in my locker whereas if i was wearing something like cargo shorts they would prob still be wet when i was putting them on to ride home.

I dont shout at cars full of lads and cut them up at roundabouts and throw drinks at them because they are wearing burberry caps and shell suits so why should they do that to me just cos im wearing lycra shorts?

• penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

<b>My shaking of head he didn't like</b>, wound down his window and threatened to 'sort me'. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's an interesting point. Over all the years I've been cycling I've noticed that that is what winds motorists up the most - even more than giving them the fingers!!

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Often get abuse for kids in cars or kids on corners, bus stops or anywhere really. not long ago a car hit me side on i flew off he kept going the car behind slammed its brakes on, reversed and drove around me. I can only assume they thought "its just a cyclist" and carried on. any way you cut it its hit and run.

I admit i lost my temper and would have attacked if they got out but why shouldnt i. could have killed me and damaged my bike which was probably worth more than their car.

Have now had a month of going to docters after visiting A&E. Wound on ankle is still painful. have paid for bike to be repaired but still has many scuffs and scratches.

But as long as the car got somewhere five seconds earlier im happy[:(!]

beow
    beow
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I did once say to a ranting bloke at traffic lights that he was only jealous because his g/f was looking at my arse<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now that is FUNNY![:D][:D]...I'm going to use that one.

I get alot of abuse. Again it is always from the vermin of our society. Being a big bloke struggling up a hill seems to attract scum from all angles.
    I have has verbal abuse yelled at me, cars riding up beside me and idiots screaming at me, I even had one asswipe grab my pannier rack as they passed me on a mini roundabout.
    Yesterday a car on the other side of the road coming towards me slowed down, hooted his horn and gave me a single fingered salute out of the window for absolutly no reason at all, I wasnt even on his side of the road!
    I think it is a sign of mental weakness, a need to inflate their own warped egos att he expense of other defenseless (because of the speed) people, it's called cowardice.

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cooper.michael1</i>

Im completely the oposite and with your attitude cycling will never take off in this country.

To encourage cycling, when not riding for leisure purposes on my road bike i try to ride a normal looking commuter MTB in as normal clothing as possible to try to get away from the you look odd in lycra attitude most people have to cycling.

I lived in Germany for 7months of last year, most people cycle as part of their day to day life there, in normal clothes 95% without helmets on decent cycle lanes in many areas. I even had a white van man apologise to me over there.

Coops

Ah, so it is Lycra wot dunnit!

Nothing to do with the seventy plus years of pro motor vehicle policy from successive governments and the non-stop brain-washing from the motor industry on all commercial television channels and all other media outlets after all. Good, that's settled then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    MIURA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the full nelson</i>

not long ago a car hit me side on i flew off he kept going the car behind slammed its brakes on, reversed and drove around me. I can only assume they thought "its just a cyclist" and carried on. any way you cut it its hit and run.

Have now had a month of going to docters after visiting A&E. Wound on ankle is still painful. have paid for bike to be repaired but still has many scuffs and scratches.

If you reported this to the police at the time you may be able to pursue a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau as they handle hit and run cases - there is a œ300 excess on the bike, but injury is fully covered.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    I mean no offence to anyone on this forum by this comment, but this place really does depress me sometimes with all these tales of abuse from road users/peds and general ill feeling about anyone on a cycle/MTB/Road bike/helmet wearing/ non-helmet wearing, Spandex wearing/4x4 driving/ chav/pensioner etc....[:(]
    I'm nearly 40 now. I have never not had a bike. I can count on one hand how many incidents I have encountered in my life that included grief from any other individual whilst on my bike.
    I have had the usual "passing a little too close" on many occasions, but I have had that whilst in my cars. I have been knocked off by a drunk one morning (he was driving) about 10 year ago. And I had a run in with a prat on a cycle who passed me and said I was cycling too slow and I should get on the path....but he wasn't expecting my turn of speed to give him a bollocking. I witnessed one fool shouting at my partner when she was on a cycle as she blocked his passage through a narrow road. I suspect he would have shouted and left, but as I was aproaching him from behind at 20mph, he was on the recieving end of my temper for 60 seconds until he got away from me... But that's it! in 30 odd years!
    All I can think is that maybe You live in an angrier place than I do? I've had just as much grief walking my dogs, pushing the kids in push chairs, driving a 4x4 or convertible or motorbike or scooter....as I have whilst on my cycles. IE: not that much.
    Maybe in some cases it is the attitude of some cyclists that appears to infuriate so many people? I have certainly driven behind one or two and thought "what on earth are you doing, are you trying to get knocked off?"
    I'm not tring to start a great long argument here, its just my honest view based on personal experience cycling for 30 years in several countries.
    Maybe I'm just lucky?
    Jas

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ah, so it is Lycra wot dunnit!

Nothing to do with the seventy plus years of pro motor vehicle policy from successive governments and the non-stop brain-washing from the motor industry on all commercial television channels and all other media outlets after all. Good, that's settled then.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can't agree totally with that. It is also the mindless crap culture that we have over here. I never get any of this whilst cycling/running abroad. As I mentioned in my post I also get this abuse whilst out running. Not as much [they know you can catch them] and of course not as dangerous. But out walking in everyday clothing. Nothing. These are cowards looking for possible victims.

Jim.

Nothing to prove.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cooper.michael1</i>

Coops

My wife grew up in Berlin theres a good reason motorists there give cyclists more space etc, its because so many cyclists over there fit pedals with spikes and take delight in scratching car paintwork as they pass...

If a car driver knows that by passing to close to a cyclist his car is VERY likely to come away second best they will tend to leave more room.

Not the way I would choose to deal with things, but my wife says thats just the way many cyclists manage traffic in Berlin. She was also a plain clothes no helmet cyclist, but despite being a lone female on a bike she was prepared to do her bit for cyclists if a car driver annoyed her too much...

Worth noting over here theres one point of my commute where I have to turn right across one of the busiest roads in the area, I can guarantee 9 times out of 10 its a white van man or HGV that will let me through!
  • missy_rlj
    missy_rlj Posts: 12
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigjim</i>

Out on a two hour solo ride yeaterday. Three incidents. All verbal abuse. On one I was riding peacefully along at the side of the rode in a 30MPH area and I heard a screech of brakes behind me. A little old lady had slammed on obviousley seen me at the last minute. panicked and doing well over the speed limit. She ignored my look and started off agiin whilst studiously ignoring me. The young tossers behind her in the hatchback who had to slam on to a standstill from approximately 60mph because of the little old dear, drove at the side of me. A young girl rolled down the window and shouted "get off the road Dickhead!". Obviously it was my fault. When I decided to lose it and have a go back they drove off [I'm 6'2" and 15 stone]. Still winds you up and makes you think. There again I get this crap when I go running.

Jim[:(!]

Jim.

Nothing to prove.

I am a 21 year old female so when I am confronted with rude young women I know exactly what to say if I want to hit them where it hurts.

You should have chiosen one of teh following:

Laugh at her then say "yeah yeah - drive on fatty"

Look at her and frown then say "eugh put it away"

Alternatively anything relating to fatness or sl*gness would be good.
  • I guess I'm just lucky but I've never had any abuse as a cyclist (female). I've had a kids lunch thrown at me from the top deck of a bus as a pedestrian though.
  • I know I shouldn't ask, but I've been ashamed of myself for so long for even thinking about it, I've just got to...

OK David TQ, where do they get the pedals with spikes?

That was very cathartic.

no chain, no gain
    No chain, no gain
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Coops

Ah, so it is Lycra wot dunnit!

Nothing to do with the seventy plus years of pro motor vehicle policy from successive governments and the non-stop brain-washing from the motor industry on all commercial television channels and all other media outlets after all. Good, that's settled then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Im not saying that, i was simply responding to what another poster said was that he paid more attention to people when they were fully kitted out.

We need to get away from the masses just seeing cycling as a sport and realise that indeed it is a means of transport too.

This might already be the case in london, but in my town of 15,000 people i would say there are around 30 people max who cycle on a regular basis for transport purposes.

Coops
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It's a fairly regular for me to receive some sort of abuse, but just don't worry about it - some of these idiots think it's cool to do it. I'm a roadie, so the lycra wearing doesn't help. "Just smile and wave" as the Penguins said on the film 'Madagascar'. When I used to ride in a group, this waving/smiling was by far the best response, annoyed them massively, but there was nothing they could do as you weren't being offensive. Most abuse is from chav's, usually a full car, so responding isn't a good idea. Plus I can't stand my ground in Look plated road shoes !

As a motorist as well, I see similar things happen - if everyone tried to relax a little when driving then we'd all get to our destinations much happier !
  • Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    [/quote]
    I am a 21 year old female so when I am confronted with rude young women I know exactly what to say if I want to hit them where it hurts.

You should have chiosen one of teh following:

Laugh at her then say "yeah yeah - drive on fatty"

Look at her and frown then say "eugh put it away"

Alternatively anything relating to fatness or sl*gness would be good.

[/quote]

missy rlj - rather unfortunate initials for a cyclist's forum name! [:p][;)]

I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .