Too short for a Dawes Galaxy

Cathryn
Cathryn Posts: 176
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I've long been dreaming of buying a Dawes Galaxy for a big trip next year, and got to see the bike of my dreams today at the York cycle show. You can't imagine how gutted I was when I found out that they don't do them small enough for me! I'm 5ft1 with a 29" inside leg.
They suggested the Kara Kum which is smaller, but aluminium and I kind of wanted a steel frame.

Any alternative bikes that you'd suggest? We'd be loaded with panniers but NOT camping gear, so shouldn't be tooo heavy.

Still gutted!!

Comments

• krfinch
    krfinch Posts: 31
    The other thing about galaxies is they have a vey long reach for the frame size. I've had a 21" frame for years and never realised until I got a new bike quite how badly it fitted me because of the long reach.I'm 5ft 5" with 30" inside leg.
    Alternatives Thorn? Mercian? Orbit do smaller touring bikes too.
  • A proper woman specific bike should have a shorter top tube than a mens. This is because women tend to be (proportionaly) longer in the leg and shorter in the trunk. Not many major manufacturers will bother to take this into account in their Off The Peg ranges.
    One builder who is well known for selling good touring and audax bikes for women is Roberts. (You may have to open your purse a little wider - but you'll get a damn fine bike)

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • Carpe Diem
    Carpe Diem Posts: 238
    The Super and Ultra Galaxies have a Sloping top tube and start in a 49cm so with your leg measurement you should be fine with that.

Top tubes are a bit long though, but you could always use a shorter stem.

Spa cycles do these models for about the same price as an ordinary Galaxy in other stores, and with these frames you get 853 tubing.

Good luck [:)]
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Why not look at a Thorn Club tour? Or other Thorn Cycles?
    Steel frame, lots of sizes, long and short top-tube versions available, customisable good fitting advice, excellent try and return policy. Worth visit.

Build-up a bike based on the Salsa Cro-Mo Casseroll frame (I'm tempted), well reviewed in last months mag.
    New Condor tourer also looks the business and again well reviewed.
    Look at Hewitt's Cheviot range, tops many polls for best tourer.

Roberts, Mercian?

Lots of options really!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1