Manchester Blackpool advice?

Small Fish
Small Fish Posts: 84
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
In a moment of madness (barbeque+beer=irrational behaviour) I signed up this afternoon do to Mnchester Blackpool ride with a friend.

So, not much time to prepare... We're both pretty fit but my fitness is from the 3.25 mile sprint to and from work not long distance stamina - my partner in this doesn't cycle much nowadays but used to cycle quite seriously and does regularly run (has done marathon and several half marathons this year.)

What is a reasonable speed to aim at? - We just want to finish and have the satisfaction of cycling what, at the moment, seems a ridiculous distance - so I'm guessing that if we keep to around 10mph (which feels incredibly slow!) we should stand a chance of surviving the distance. Does that sound reasonable?
Because I don't usually go very far, my usual cycling mentaility is to go as fast as i can - So I think my biggest problem is going to be keeping speed down and not getting burned out.

We're going to try and do a couple of training runs between now and then - will try 20 miles on wednesday and see how that goes.

I've read plenty of tips here on what to carry for a long run, (and I might even vaseline my sensitive bits!) but my other question is how best to carry sun cream, snacks, inner tubes etc?. I usually use a rucksack but I imagine that's not very comfortable on a long run?

cheers!

Comments

• longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I did this a few years ago when I thought it was a long way. It is but I've used it as a springboard for longer rides.

Try and get some distance in beforehand, you've got a bit of time.
    The route is flat so you've got nothing to worry about there.
    I think I had a rucksack on - if it's a comfy rucksack and not over packed it's comfy.

You say you try to race all the time? That'll be your achilles heel but you know you do it so it's up to you to go at a reasonable pace.

If the weathers good you'll definately enjoy it.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    It's very flat so don't worry - I did it in group of three of us about 1 month ago with one guy relative new to cycling. For the total 120 miles round trip we averaged 11.8 mph (Garmin GPS with autostop off) which included 1.5 hours (0 mph) lunch in a pub and a couple of stops for punctures and breaks.

I'd say our average speed on the road (taking out the breaks) was a steady 15-18 mph and it was very comfy so don't do any sprinting or heroics - relax & enjoy the ride....and take it in turns at the front (makes a huge difference)

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport
  • Tako
    Tako Posts: 209
    Can anyone advise on gearing as l'm doing this fixed (75"). Did you ever drop onto the 39 chainring?
  • aussie70
    aussie70 Posts: 75
    There's no real hills on this ride so you should manage it on 75" fixed, although it does seem a tad high. I'd personnaly go for an extra tooth on the back and try for around 70". you'll be pedalling fast on the flat, but the small climbs will not hurt your knees.

Enjoy, and watch out at the start there are a lot of inexperienced riders, so you may need rapid stops and changes of direction (Not the easiest thing on a fixed wheel!)[;)]
  • Tako
    Tako Posts: 209
    Cheers, l have since geared down a notch. Anyone riding back and want some company?
  • DuncSF
    DuncSF Posts: 95
    Few things I would recommend:
    1. Use Sudacrem(spelling?) on your undercarriage area- great stuff
    2. Padded shorts- lots will not bother
    3. Soft cycling hat(under helmet), keeps sweat and sun out of eyes on long trips - really makes a difference
    4. Invest in good jersey, with rear pockets, preferably with zip and
    you can fit a load of items in - watch the pros on the tours they pack 4-6 water bottles in their rear pockets!

Would have thought 15mph is easily achievable if you're fit and best advice for distance is move around on your saddle, back a bit for hills, stand whenever you want to rest seatbones and you will make a good time and be comfortable and most of all you will really enjoy it.[:)]
    I'm doing this trip as well, good luck.

Tarmac Chewer
    Tarmac Chewer
  • bugslop
    bugslop Posts: 103
    waterproofs! it comes past our house and it rains every year!

I wear the trousers in our house!
    when I'm allowed !!
    when I\'m allowed !!
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bugslop</i>

waterproofs! it comes past our house and it rains every year!

when I'm allowed !!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Didn't rain 2 years ago!

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

Sponsor me for the Ride of the Roses BHF ride
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    Thanks for the advice and encouraging words! Think we have a pot of sudacreme somewhere left over from when kids were in nappies! Definitely no heroics on the way but I do really hope I can put on a dash for the last few hundred metres! Might buy an extra bottle cage and stick with the rucksack for light stuff, but I'll look at jerseys, I have padded shorts and good shoes but nothing 'proper' for me top half.

Did about 12 miles today (Fallowfield loop in manchester) took it very steady and felt fine after - tiny bit numb from saddle immediately afterwards and legs feel slightly tingly this evening - but very encouraged by the fact that Blackpool's 'only' 5 times that distance! Think I'm going to go for 20 on wednesday then 30 next w/e.

Also think I might need to move my saddle forward - never noticed this problem before, but for the last few miles today I found i kept sitting on the front of the saddle and had to keep pushing back to get my sit bones on the back of the saddle where they should be.

thanks again.