Making the change

simon000
simon000 Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Am new to the forum and looking for some advice. Just about recovered from a back injury and I can no longer carry on with my MTB'ing, I cannot risk another back injury plus all the off roading aggrevates my injury, so my beloved MTB has been sold and I am switching to a road bike. My choice of bike is virtually decided on SCR2 or Allez, (the only thing I need to change is the pedals, as I prefer clip in) and I have ruled out a Trek 1000 as I think that the other 2 have a better spec (please tell me if I am wrong).

Anyway, what I would like to know is what to expect now that I am making the change, will the bike be more responsive than I am used to? I know that I will notice the speed, to that end does that mean I can go hell for leather into a corner and the bike will stick to the road?

I know that there will be alot of differences between the two and any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    it will be more skittish, it may take you a few miles to get used to it. when going into corners make sure you keep your eyes on the exit, not on the bend.

you'll love it.

and welcome...!

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi simon000

Regarding choice of bike, both are good choices...the SCR has a slightly more relaxed riding position, bars can be set higher than on the Allez. The SCR will also take full mudguards for winter use and a rack for commuting light touring. Both are good, get good fitting/sizing advice and try before you buy.

In terms of ride etc, yes both bikes will feel much lighter (like riding on nothing!), will accelerate and turn quicker (feel twitchy at first), will be faster and will take less effort to maintain high speeds. You will also feel the road and its imperfections a lot more.
    Regarding cornering, like everything there is a limit, you'll be on a very small contact patch, in perfect conditions a road-bike can corner amazingly fast, but roads being what they are, perfect conditions rarely arise.
    Choice of tyre plays a big part, softer grippier race-tyres are amazing in the dry (Michelin PR2's for example) but may also be horrors in the wet.
    Learn good cornering technique and you'll manage to scare the bejeezus out of yourself on a regular basis.
    BTW, it hurts falling from a road-bike as well!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    There aren't any 2007 Allez (54cm) left.

I've ordered a 2007 Allez Sport for œ599, you get Tiagra groupset instead of Sora, amongs other things

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • The allez is acually quite a relaxed position and there is plent of adjustment availible, sure the scr is good too. I have older racers but was amazed at the speed of a modern bike, very addictive and much more efficient than MTB or even a Hybrid.. [:D]

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">