Help me spend œ750 Please!

gb1
gb1 Posts: 93
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Been road riding for many years and now looking to spend around œ750 on a hardtail MTB. Unfortunately I know nothing about MTB's. Have seen a Felt Q920 which looks the sort of thing I have in mind, general use on trails and Dartmoor and the odd 22 mile round trip to work when the weathers poor. Is this a good buy? What else should I have in mind? Anyone with any experience of this bike?
All help gratefully received!

Greg.

If only I could ride as fast as my bike looks!

Comments

• currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    demongrider got a scott from evans that looks pretty cool.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • fechman
    fechman Posts: 19
    gb1

the gary fisher hoo koo e koo falls nicely in this price range as welli hae the big sur and can highly recomend teh service fromgary fisher /trek asbeing topnotch and al frames come with a lifetime warrenty

hard to beat IMHO
    c
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    From the info on the Wiggle website, the Felt looks like a good buy for the money.

TBH any hardtail from one of the big names at this price isn't going to be a turkey, I'd wonder though if aiming for a bike at this price point without disc brakes would mean better kit, lower weight, plus the option for discs in the future if the bug bites hard.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">

Sponsor me for the Ride of the Roses BHF ride
  • Any Focus hardtail will be fine imo, great spec and finish, I don not hink they can be beaten for the price...like I say imo
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fechman</i>

gb1

the gary fisher hoo koo e koo falls nicely in this price range
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Managed to pick one of these up for a mate, brand new but I think the previous year's model, for just under œ400. Best MTB I have ever ridden for that money. Brakes were not the best, and were the only obvious money saving bits of the bike, but decent brakes don't cost the earth.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X